Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finishing hardwood edge? - under-sink plumbing from concrete

Posted by feisty68 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 14:53

Hi folks,

I just had a 2-layer plywood subfloor with 1/4" oak planks installed over concrete in my kitchen. The area will be under cabinets, but I'm concerned about what would happen if there were leaks under the sink. The water would pool where the plumbing comes out of the floor and soak into the exposed edges of the plywood/hardwood. What is the proper way to deal with this?

This wasn't discussed in advance with the flooring contractor.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finishing hardwood edge? - under-sink plumbing from concrete

Anyone?

o

One of the main reasons most pros do not recommend wood in the kitchen as there is really no sure fire way to protect it.

o

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks very much for your input.

It was a tough decision. It's an open concept kitchen attached to a dining/living hall area that covers half of the apartment. The dining/living/hall area already had hardwood. When I wanted to increase the footprint of the kitchen, the best option was to continue the hardwood into the kitchen so that there wouldn't be a flooring transition where the old kitchen footprint was.

o

Having wood in a kitchen of a half bath comes with the risk of potential floods.

Theres not much you can do to protect yourself. If theres a small leak you can sand the area and refinish but a major flood youre going to end up ripping it out. You could finish all 4 sides of each plank b4 installing.
But it doesnt matter if you have 1 coat or 10 coats of finish. Wih enough time any standing water WILL penetrate the wood.

o

Water alarms under the sink DWand fridge, flood safe supply hoses, and brand new high quality 1/4 turn shut off valves that get exercised once every couple of months is about as ''preventative'' as it gets for keeping water damage at bay.

o

Thanks for the input folks :)

Great ideas hollysprings :) . Dh installed new quality valves, and we will use a water alarm.

o

Done lost of solid hardwood in kitchens...it works...it looks great, but you just have to love the concept and realize that usual floor cleaning methods have to be adjusted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here