Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multi-width Flooring

Posted by mcderion (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 14:28

We're currently in the process of picking out a hardwood floor (for new construction) and have a design question. The area that will be covered is approximately 700 sq. ft., and is an open area that encompasses the kitchen, dining and living area (it's very loft like).We're leaning toward a multi-width floor (3" - 4" - 5"). Does anyone have a sense of what the visual impact would be (e.g., formal, modern, country)? Also we could go with something other than a 3-4-5 repeating pattern ... for example, 5-3-4-3.

If it's of any help, we're looking at (solid hardwood) products from Chelsea and Homerwood.

From Homerwood:
-- Hickory Smoked Red Saddle -- smooth surface with an oil finish (i.e., not a urethane, and with no shine to speak of)
http://www.homerwood.com/products/collections.asp?CID=4&PID=38

From Chelsea:
-- Hickory Clear Grade, Dark Brown w/ Red Undertone Stain, Satin Finish
http://www.plankflooring.com/50-north-bay-hickory/detail/56-north-bay-hickory

-- Hickory Character Grade, Dark Brown w/ Red Undertone Stain,Textured Matte Finish
http://www.plankflooring.com/49-black-river-hickory/detail/183-black-river-hickory

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

:Paul

p.s., This is being done through a builder, so our choice of manufacturers is limited; and, from that limited list, Chelsea and Homerwood seemed the best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multi-width Flooring

3,4,5" can give a different feel. But depends on how much you stare at the floor.

Go with the simple 345 order. If you try for 5343 or any othe combo you will spend more because each box contains a mix of 345. So if you doubled the 3" you would need to buy more to compensate for the added rows of 3" and you would have A LOT. Of 4,5" left over.

You can do it anyway you want but keep in mind the extra money and left over material by doing so.

o

Nice, I love the black river hickory from Chelsea (great company btw... and USA grown/made).

I have no feedback on the multi-width issue...I personally don't care for the look. I'm sure you'll receive more input here tho.

o

Thanks, that's definitely something to keep in mind if we choose a Chelsea product (which does come "premixed"). As for the Homerwood product, the widths are ordered separately. So while there will be some waste when ordering multiple widths versus a single width, it shouldn't be too bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here