Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sub floor

Posted by bigboy96 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 14:22

Hello I had some questions I am having to replace some of the sub floor in my bathroom. Now that I have done that I am using the hardie back board. Do I have to use tile or can I use the self stick vinyl tille. Also I was told to use some stuff to put under the hardie board I am doing that but on my sub floor the boards are gapped is that still ok to use or do I need to do something else

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sub floor

Does anyone come on this site to help out the needy LOL

o

CBU's such as Hardi or Durock are typically used on a floor as a good substrate for ceramic tile....which is preferable to vinyl, IMO. If you're doing this, you should spread thinset, with a 1/4x1/4" trowel underneath it. The thinset should be mixed a bit "loose," in other words, it should barely hold a ridge when troweled. "Walk" it down firmly and then screw it in with the screws about 6-8" around the perimeter and about every 10" in the field.

The thinset gives it support and fills the voids. The screws hold it down.

If you are tiling it on top, wet but don't soak the board before applying the thinset....that stuff can be "thirsty" and suck the moisture out of the thinset...

Keep us posted.

o

You can use it to help create a clean level surface over a subfloor or other rigid flooring surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here