Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren02_gw

Contractor, tile and dye lots!

lauren02 02
11 years ago

We are redoing our bathroom (our first major remodel), and the contractor didn't order enough tile. We knew that that was a possibility ahead of time, but even though I told them we wanted extra tile they went ahead and rounded down. I had no idea about porcelain tile dye lots (and the lady responsible for ordering said she didn't either?), and they just said we can "always order more." Now, almost all of the floor is done except for part of the toilet room and, of course, we are out of tile. A reorder returned tile of a different dye lot that didn't match; a second reorder returned more tile of the second, non-matching dye lot (even though they said it would match the existing tile). It is unclear whether any tile of the original dye lot exists anywhere.

I should mention that they are lifestone statuario venato tile, so primarily white. The different dye lots have very (to my eye) different whites, the original is more cream-ish, the new is grayer. Not noticeable when not next to each other, but very noticeable side-by-side.

Now, they keep trying to get us to just let them install it anyway since it is in what they deem as an inconspicuous place and is just a few tiles. But, it does really bother me. Plus, what that means is that I have no matching extra tile which, for a large bathroom, really upsets me, especially since I said that I wanted extra (but I'm not sure if I have the right to make that their problem?).

They say the only other option is to tear everything out, which, given our heated floors, cabinets and tub are installed, etc., will cause major problems. It sounds like they may be willing to do it on their dime, but every time we talk to someone from that company they try harder to convince us to just use what we have. Any thoughts? Are we being the unreasonable ones here, or are they just providing bad customer service? Thoughts and advice are appreciated!

Comment (1)