Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl_gw

Online vs Local

jerzeegirl
13 years ago

We just bought a house and are planning to tear out about 1,000 sf of carpet and replace it with engineered hardwood - probably white oak 3" planks (maybe quartersawn). Because we didn't see many houses with hardwood (which is what we want), right from the start we figured we would be replacing the floor of any house we bought.

There is a very reputable floor company in town and we like them very much. Their price for installing a white oak, high quality, finished floor is around $14.50 /square foot, which includes the installation (but not the moisture barrier glue which I think they said was another $1/psf (vinyl) or 50 cents psf for regular).

I can get an unfinished white oak on line for about $4.50/sf from what I think is a good lumberyard in Wisconsin. I don't know what finishing costs are but I'm guessing around $6/sf to install and finish (no staining involved). Let me know if I am all wet about this price.

There would be a significant savings to ordering online and getting a local installer to do the job.

Yet I hesitate.

Please let me know why I shouldn't do this. I am in the Sarasota area,

Comments (2)