Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Online vs Local

Posted by jerzeegirl (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 13:22

We just bought a house and are planning to tear out about 1,000 sf of carpet and replace it with engineered hardwood - probably white oak 3" planks (maybe quartersawn). Because we didn't see many houses with hardwood (which is what we want), right from the start we figured we would be replacing the floor of any house we bought.

There is a very reputable floor company in town and we like them very much. Their price for installing a white oak, high quality, finished floor is around $14.50 /square foot, which includes the installation (but not the moisture barrier glue which I think they said was another $1/psf (vinyl) or 50 cents psf for regular).

I can get an unfinished white oak on line for about $4.50/sf from what I think is a good lumberyard in Wisconsin. I don't know what finishing costs are but I'm guessing around $6/sf to install and finish (no staining involved). Let me know if I am all wet about this price.

There would be a significant savings to ordering online and getting a local installer to do the job.

Yet I hesitate.

Please let me know why I shouldn't do this. I am in the Sarasota area,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Online vs Local

Why would you not ask a local store about an on site finish. It should cost you no more in reality and you then have warranties. You are making an investment. Don't you want to be assured a return on your investment? You need to research posts on this site when you play flooring expert...It can be brutal and then it costs you triple.

o
RE: Online vs Local

I actually did ask about an on site finish and apparently it will cost roughly the same as buying the wood already finished. That made perfect sense to me. I am leaning towards using the local flooring store even if it does cost more because I like having someone close by if things go wrong, but so many people have had good luck with on line purchasing, I just thought I'd ask.

In any case, I would be using a local guy for the installation and finishing - it's just that the wood would come from a far off place (which it's coming from no matter which method I use).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here