Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cracked Asbestos tiles in CT.

Posted by 1magine (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 13:04

Buying a home in CT built in 1961. The basement is finished, but the utility room (washer, dryer, boiler, water heater) area is bare floor. In front of the boiler near the air handler is a bunch of cracked and chipped asbestos tiles. It appears as though the homeowner or someone else tryed to pry them off or remove them. The tiles also appear to run under a walled off section of the finished basement. I know that I should not disturb VAT or other asbestos tiles if whole and I can/should just cover them.

1. Given the state of these tiles, should I just have them gently washed, sealed and covered? Or should I insist the homeowner have them professionally removed prior to close?

2. Given that these tiles are broken, chipped and the mastic exposed right in front of where the air filter goes, should I be concerned that there may in-fact be an air borne issue throughout the house as well?

I will be working in the finished part of the basement for 8-12 hours a day (I work from home). If that make any difference whatsoever.

Appreciate the advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cracked Asbestos tiles in CT.

I would tell the homeowner to get them out of there. It would not bother me at all as the risk % I feel is minuscule. But that's me and you should have them removed so you'll be comfortable.

o
RE: cracked Asbestos tiles in CT.

Chip 'em up. Unless you use a grinder or sander, you aren't releasing dust-size particle into the air, and that's what you want to avoid. Minimal concerns here...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here