Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simoneaux_gw

How to get reclaimed heart of pine to 'go' with old...

simoneaux
13 years ago

Our home was built in the early 1900's. We have original heart of pine (tongue and groove) floors in the living room & 1 bed room. This house has been added to several times. We recently enclosed the small porch and made that area part of our living room. My DH wanted to put new pine floors over the originals and I nearly had a fit! So after much discussion, he agreed to purchasing reclaimed heart of pine from a mill not far from us. We went to the mill and explained (and showed pics) of what we have. He said there would be no problem matching the "select" grade. After ordering enough to do the newly expanded living room and 2 other bed rooms, we receive our order to find that the reclaimed wood does not go well with the original floors. The reclaimed is lighter, and has more knots (character) in it. It's beautiful flooring...but how can I get the different (looking) woods to work together? I have to use this floor! It's not a huge addition to our living room; and the thought is to allow the difference to act as a division from foyer (so to speak) into the living room. I REALLY wanted to use pure tongue oil to finish the floor, but it doesn't match nor does it contrast greatly...My brain is in "over-load" trying to figure this out....Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)