Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I place ceramic tile without space between them (no grout)?

Posted by novicehomeimprov (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 1, 09 at 12:35

I am planning on laying tile and like the look of tile with out any space between them (hate the look of grout). I plan on staggering the design so straight lines are not a huge issuee.

Can I lay ceramic tile with out any space between them? If not, what type of tile or stone can this effect be best done with?

Thank you so much in advance for all comments!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I place ceramic tile without space between them (no grout

It's best to have some grout, as not all tiles are perfectly sized.

Your best bet for minimal grout joints will be by using a rectified tile.

In a zero grout layout, or even with a 1/16' grout joint, any deviations in tile size will throw your pattern off as you move across the floor.

Minimal or zero grout lines will also accentuate any lippage between adjacent tiles.

Mongo

o

I agree with the previous poster. I would add; If you your tile installation is purely decorative in nature and not a wet area then arguably it does not require grout. There are several companies who sell decorative mosaics that are not meant to be grouted in by design. If your tile is being installed in a wet area or it is used as flooring, you should use a minimal grout joint and use an unsanded grout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Western Flooring

o

Grout is important.When grout does its job locking tiles tight, keeping out water, and giving floors and walls a finished look nobody pays much attention. It's only when grout fails, becoming stained, cracked, or falling out altogether, that people take notice.

But grout deserves more respect. "Not only does grout fill the voids, it makes the floor, wall, or countertop stronger by bonding the tiles together and preventing the edges of a tile from chipping and cracking.
Cicliot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here