Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novicehomeimprov

Can I place ceramic tile without space between them (no grout)?

novicehomeimprov
15 years ago

I am planning on laying tile and like the look of tile with out any space between them (hate the look of grout). I plan on staggering the design so straight lines are not a huge issuee.

Can I lay ceramic tile with out any space between them? If not, what type of tile or stone can this effect be best done with?

Thank you so much in advance for all comments!

Comments (4)

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

It's best to have some grout, as not all tiles are perfectly sized.

Your best bet for minimal grout joints will be by using a rectified tile.

In a zero grout layout, or even with a 1/16' grout joint, any deviations in tile size will throw your pattern off as you move across the floor.

Minimal or zero grout lines will also accentuate any lippage between adjacent tiles.

Mongo

• harmon_2008
    15 years ago

Grout is important.When grout does its job  locking tiles tight, keeping out water, and giving floors and walls a finished look  nobody pays much attention. It's only when grout fails, becoming stained, cracked, or falling out altogether, that people take notice.

But grout deserves more respect. "Not only does grout fill the voids, it makes the floor, wall, or countertop stronger by bonding the tiles together and preventing the edges of a tile from chipping and cracking.
    Cicliot

• Richard Vera
    2 years ago

U can use the least separation possible. The tiles may chip if they're too closed to one

• James Cronk
    2 years ago

Another option is luxury vinyl with a tile look.