Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Engineered Flooring

Posted by Juno_barks (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 11:16

I will be placing new flooring through my kitchen, LR (K and LR will be continuous once we get the wall out of the way), hallway, and two additional adjoining rooms. Because of our timing, and their reported increased stability, we are mostly looking at engineered floors.
I find myself most attracted to matte finished flooring, we need cool colors to go with our kitchen scheme, and especially those floors with rough wood texture (NOT hand scraped, but the ones where the fibers of the wood can be felt if you run your hand across them). The sales people assure me that they will last 25 yrs, but I am skeptical. I have read about the thickness of the top layer, the manner in which that layer is cut from the wood, and the durability of aluminum oxide coatings, but not so much about the textures. It also seems that there are so many different manufacturers, its been difficult to track down the ones people have listed on this forum as dependable quality ( Owens Plankfloor, Canterbury Signature Engineered, Real Wood Floors engineered ).

Is there anyone out there with experience with this sort of floor? I have teenage kids with one foot out the door, and a large but gentle dog. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Engineered Flooring

Any wood floor, except maybe acrylic impregnated and some jungle wood, will dent...expect it. Most quality consumer grade wood flooring will outlast you. Question is: what will the manufacturer consider "not to have lasted 25 years?" Flooring warranties are very limited documents, so read them and consider them with a grain of salt.

Grit and moisture are anathema to wood floors. Keeping them swept clean and wiping up spills goes a long way to help get good long service from wood floors. Also, protecting the floor from scratches by installing the right floor protectors on all furniture pieces is also a plus. And...keep the dog's nails trimmed.

o
RE: Engineered Flooring

glen summed it up wisely.

We went with Lauzon 5 years ago and have been happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here