Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flaws in finish of hardwood floors

Posted by missoblivious (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 10:51

I just had my hardwood floors refinished. The color and sheen are perfect, however I've noticed a few hairs and a couple pieces of debris embedded in the top coat. Is this to be expected, or should I ask my contractor to fix these areas? I do not want to make a few imperfections become more noticeable by any attempt to repair or remove the debris. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flaws in finish of hardwood floors

Sometimes it is very easy to pick out the stray hair and debris bits without affecting the overall appearance.

Careful excision with a scalpel or a single edge razor blade is all that's needed.

The typical home job site is not a clean room and tiny bits of flotsam and jettison will appear in most any refinish.

o

No finish will ever be perfect so you need to consider how much debris there is and where it is to determine whether it's acceptable to you. My philosophy is to strive for 100% perfection and accept 95% because human's aren't capable of perfection.
I can't tell how many times someone's asked for a recoat for a relatively minor flaw only to have something worse on a subsequent coat.
Consider all the things that can go wrong. Uneven shine. Streaks. Fisheye. Alligatoring. Bugs. Lizards. Holidays. Dust. Hairs. Puddles. Footprints, either from the floor finisher or from someone else walking in the wet finish.
If the finish is still fresh you can carefully scrape off hairs or debris and use a fingernail to smooth out the finish.

o

Honestly i would give it a good month. Most of the time these little pieces of debris will work themselves out from just normal traffic.

If its really dirty in a few spots your floor guy can do a spot fix and not have to re coat everything

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here