Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stair treads/risers

Posted by bagdaddy (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 10:46

I've removed the carpeting and am putting down new 1" solid maple treads and am covering existing pine risers with new 1/4 inch pine that will be painted white. Treads will be stained. Nothing is completely true or 100% level and I'm trying to figure if the tread should go down first with potential gaps being left under bottom of riser edge. Or, should the risers go on first, then treads, leaving potential gaps at head of tread. I think I'll be caulking afterward with clear silicone(?).
Thanks, Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stair treads/risers

Do not caulk with silicone! It will not hold paint if repainted later.
Put tread down then riser, If the risers are 1/4" it would be easier to sand to fit.

o

1. Take off existing treads.
2. put all of the risers on first. Why 1/4 inch?
3. put bottom tread on after scribing to fit (use liquid nails under before fastening tread)
4. nail/screw through risers into back edge of new tread.
5. continue to top one at a time.
6. no silicone. as said above paint won't stick. Ever.

o

Jon dear, It looks like they want to leave the risers that are there and laminate 1/4" on to them. That is why I suggested risers last, being that they are only 1/4" they would be easier to scribe to fit.
If all new risers and treads then yes, treads first.

o

You could put cove molding underneath the treads to cover any gaps between the risers and treads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here