Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selecting Engineered Flooring - Oh, the frustration!

Posted by Homesteaderbill (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 10:43

Greetings to all - new to the forum.

My familiar situation is this: Building a new house; want to keep everything mid-range; want engineered hardwood flooring in LR, DR, and perhaps Kitchen and DW's room (all connected, sorta one big open area. Probably need from 800 to 1400 Sq Ft., depending on how many areas we end up covering. Kitchen cabs are a Knotty Birch (similiar to knotty Alder). Really like natural Pecan and Hickory flooring. Flooring needs to be on the lighter color side but still with some contrast.

We found a Thomasville Natural Pecan at HomeDepot we really like. However, I can't find any information about it (can't even confirm that Thomasville makes an engineered flooring), HD is no help (they can't provide any info nor a web site or telephone number, and, as strange as it seems, they can't, or won't, even tell me where they get it. Makes me wonder how they are going to order it if I wanted to order it.) Also, the few forum comments I find are not positive. I would like something with a little thicker veneer also - this stuff appears to thicker than laminate flooring but still a bit thin.

HD does have some other product that may work for us. I was looking at a Bruce Hickory Autumn wheat, 3/8" X 5" planks last night on-line that I think I like. DW hasn't looked at it yet.

Okay, finally down to my inquiry: I need suggestions to help me locate a reputable, low-mid cost source for some good engineered flooring in NorthEast Washington State. I'm not close to anywhere (HD is 65 miles away and anything else is about 130 miles) An on-line purchase may be okay as long as I can confirm what I'm getting.

I know many of you have been down this same path and have successfully emerged into the sunshine at the far end. Right now, it looks pretty daunting to me. Your help and suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selecting Engineered Flooring - Oh, the frustration!

I'm in Seattle and engineered wood is not the norm for us since so many homes have plywood subfloors. Why are you seeking just engineered? HD buys private labeled products so no secret there. You'd be far better off working with a local dealer who sells hardwood. If your part of the state is especially dry or too wet buying off the internet is a stab in the dark, better to work with a dlr who has installed and has a track record of success.

o

We've been very pleased with the quality of our Lauzon engineered flooring. We ended up ordering it online. I would not use the same online flooring company, again, as there were a few glitches. All turned out fine in the end.

If I were to do it again, I'd order online from Hoskings Hardwoods. Their price was only a tiny bit more than the company we went through, but I think their reputation is strong and I believe the process may have been smoother.

o

It will not cost any more to talk to a pro. Why go to a big box for something as major as a floor? A knowledgeable flooring pro will get you both the product you need for your lifestyle and the look you want.

o

woodfloorpro, you are exactly right. I finally abandoned the big box route and talked to several hardwood floor dealers in the Spokane area. Paul, at Quality Hardwood Floors has been extremely helpful. I thought that an engineered floor would be much less expensive than solid hardwood - WRONG! For less than $1/sq. ft. more than I was look at in an engineered floor, we are getting a solid hardwood floor. We are going with WD Hardwoods, probably in a rustic Red Oak.
Thanks for the input all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here