Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? on the options / cost to change color of engineered floor

Posted by solie (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 10:39

I am considering purchasing an almost new house. I've never purchased a new home before. I've built one and I've renovated older homes. I'll probably sell in 5 years.

I like almost everything and even the choices I wouldn't have made myself are well thought out and I can certainly live with them. Except for the floor. It's perfectly nice, but I don't like it personally. I think it's an engineered or prefinished floor (not sure what the diff is, I've always had site finished) and it's lighter than I would like and orange-y.

I've read that these floors can be refinished once or twice, but that seems iffy and the cost of that is not tiny. Alternatively for a much greater cost, but more sure outcome I could just take out the current floors and re-install site finished floors. I am assuming the kitchen cabs are installed on top of the floors and there is a backsplash and granite counters. Am I correct in assuming that this would dramatically increase the cost to replace the floors? Is it worth trying to refinish?

I found a site last night that described a chemical method for removing hte sealer and it said you could darken the floors by doing this and then applying a much darker stain. I'm ok with anything from a medium to an almost black floor (could I paint it)? What I might not be able to live with is the orange.

I dislike the floors enough to forgo the house. I also think others would feel similarly and if I sell in five year I would recup at least some part of my investment. Additionally, working arounf thte color might require buying more new furniture. I could end up spending quite a bit to work around a flooring choice I don't like. The home has very nice, tasteful, high-end finishes.

Any opinions / advice / suggestions appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? on the options / cost to change color of engineered floor

Your cabinets can be left in place and a toe kick saw used to cut the flooring off close to the cabinets. Quarter round for the base of the cabinets would then be needed but your leaving all else alone.
Your best bet is to have a professional check to see if it could be sanded then you would have a clear idea on the options. I'd would need a lot of assurance on the chemical striping because of the potential auxiliary damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here