Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solie_gw

? on the options / cost to change color of engineered floor

solie
13 years ago

I am considering purchasing an almost new house. I've never purchased a new home before. I've built one and I've renovated older homes. I'll probably sell in 5 years.

I like almost everything and even the choices I wouldn't have made myself are well thought out and I can certainly live with them. Except for the floor. It's perfectly nice, but I don't like it personally. I think it's an engineered or prefinished floor (not sure what the diff is, I've always had site finished) and it's lighter than I would like and orange-y.

I've read that these floors can be refinished once or twice, but that seems iffy and the cost of that is not tiny. Alternatively for a much greater cost, but more sure outcome I could just take out the current floors and re-install site finished floors. I am assuming the kitchen cabs are installed on top of the floors and there is a backsplash and granite counters. Am I correct in assuming that this would dramatically increase the cost to replace the floors? Is it worth trying to refinish?

I found a site last night that described a chemical method for removing hte sealer and it said you could darken the floors by doing this and then applying a much darker stain. I'm ok with anything from a medium to an almost black floor (could I paint it)? What I might not be able to live with is the orange.

I dislike the floors enough to forgo the house. I also think others would feel similarly and if I sell in five year I would recup at least some part of my investment. Additionally, working arounf thte color might require buying more new furniture. I could end up spending quite a bit to work around a flooring choice I don't like. The home has very nice, tasteful, high-end finishes.

Any opinions / advice / suggestions appreciated.

Comment (1)