Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing self-stick vinyl tiles over old linoleum

Posted by paintergal92 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 10:14

I just purchased 12" vinyl self-stick tiles for our kitchen. Currently, our 1930's house has carpet in the kitchen that I need to remove. Under that is two layers of linoleum. Since this is old linoleum, I am assuming that it is made with asbestos so I don't want to remove it, but install over it.
My question, the gal at Lowe's where I purchased the tiles, said to scuff the linoleum to create a better adhesion for the tiles. I did some research online and read to NOT sand old linoleum due to the asbestos.
The tiles need a smooth surface and I'm a little nervous about how to achieve this.
Anyone have any advice?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing self-stick vinyl tiles over old linoleum

LOL! There is more to it then that!!!

Lets not get linoleum, confused with asbestos sheet vinyl. Lino, never had and neved did have asbestos. Now sheet vinyl was made with asbestos. You can remove it by keeping things wet, so no dust is created. Some States do not let you abate asbestos. California, being the main one, with very high fines.

ARDEX has a produce to encapsulate and emboss the sheet vinyl before you prime for the self stick tiles.

o

Well, I am obviously very illiterate in terms of flooring! I am going from the assumption that this floor under the carpet has asbestos in it. I really don't know for sure and I don't know if it's vinyl or linoleum. I just assumed it's lino, because of the age of the house.
So this Ardex is a product I can use to cover the old floor? The gal at Lowe's told me I shouldn't use a primer over vinyl. Color me confused!

o

Your not suppose to go straight over the vinyl. Plasticizer migration of the existing plastic top layer of sheet vinyl, with mess with the adhesive. Your suppose to emboss the surface of the vinyl, with a product made just for that, Like Ardex SD-F Feather finish. All self stick tiles require a primer, that is part of the system.

As soon as you start listening and believeing the help at the big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, your on your way to failure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here