Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old subfloor problem - uneven under cabinets

Posted by jaz50y (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 8:46

I am replacing a stove and dishwasher along with counters. The stove is in an island, and the tile floor and hardibacker were butted up against the cabinets, leaving a 1 1/4" drop to the base of the cabinets. Because it would be impossible to remove the stove after counters are in, I want to build up the area with plywood. BUT the subfloor is uneven, both back-to-front and side-to-side. The area is about 20" by 85". I guess I need to level the new plywood, rather than try to shim cabinets and rely on feet of stove - is this right? And should I level using wood shims, or try to use some asphalt shingles? The maximum error is about 1/4".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old subfloor problem - uneven under cabinets

It matters little what you use as mass to shim the plywood; it just needs to be clean, dense and able to nail through. Shingles, either asphalt or wood undercourse are commonly used. Use the leveling feet on the stove for final adjustments when reinstalling that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here