Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood Floor Cost

Posted by km34567 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 8:11

We are planning on building a home. In our current contract, there is hardwood flooring over 1230 sq ft of the first floor. 4" oak that will be finished and stained on site is included. The builder says the oak included is $5 per sq foot.

We don't like the look of oak. We preferred another wood--maple. The hard wood we preferred was listed as $12 per sq foot but is prefinished; no onsite staining or finishing required.

I wanted to find out if there is a significant difference in cost between the two with regard to overall installation. I would imagine that if wood is pre-finished and no onsite finishing and staining is requiried there should be a cost savings that would offset the difference in price of the wood itself. I am going to bet that our builder will say no difference in installation and charge us for the entire difference in cost ($12 minus $5) of the woods.

Advice? Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood Floor Cost

It depends on how your contract is set up.

Is this a custom home, or did you pick a pre-set package from the builder? If the latter, he probably has a flooring source that he uses and trusts, who give him a builder's discount and a good guarantee. If you buy your maple elsewhere and he installs it, he's on the hook for any unforeseen problems, such as: the flooring isn't delivered on time; or the finish is no good; or you need extra because the quality is poor and a lot of boards are culled out. Some builders won't do changes like this, some may charge you for it, and some may tell you to handle it yourself.

o
RE: Hardwood Floor Cost

I can't be sure but I think maple is a more expensive hardwood than oak. Talk to your builder again and ask how you can come to a more agreeable price or maybe he can show you a stain over the oak that you would like and not be able to tell it's oak? I have seen some beautiful oak floors stained with a darker finish that were so pretty!! I was shocked to find out that they were oak floors!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here