Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OOPS. sticky stain on top of tung oil

Posted by lbelle (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 6:05

I have wide plank soft pine floors that were stained and covered with tung oil 5 years ago. Since then I got 2 dogs and they have ripped up the finish in wear areas down to the original wood. ( not to mention all the claw marks, and i know now that either the dogs or the floor was a bad decision, but here we are).
So my friend and I thought to stain the bad areas to blend in the color so it is not obvious. Well, she got a little crazy with the stain (because it was covering and looking good), and didn't wipe it away as much as was needed. Once I saw it, I tried to remove more, but now it is just a sticky new problem. Do you think I can take mineral spirits and wipe down the whole thing? Any other ideas?
BTW, We want to sell the house and will give an allowance toward refinishing . In the meantime, feel the dogs would just gouge the floors if we refinished now, so just want it to not look so bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OOPS. sticky stain on top of tung oil

Check with the manufacturer first or installer about care. Mineral spirits will be too harsh. May end up with sanding and reapplying tung oil.

o

Mineral spirits ASAP. Use clean absorbent rags then soak them in water or spread them out to dry. Spontaneous combustion is a very real possibility.
I suggest you get a pro to look it over. The stained bare wood marks still need to be sealed.

The 1st question I ask a client looking for a wood floor is, "Do you have a dog?" if yes the 2nd is "how large?" every other decision flows from there.

o

"Mineral spirits will be too harsh."

Mineral spirits is actually about the mildest of the solvents available.

One of the reasons it is used as a cleaner on almost any finish that is not plastic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here