Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Remove Vinyl Tile Adhesive from old Ceramic Tiles?

Posted by organic_smallhome (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 2:29

We just discovered that beneath the old peel-and-stick vinyl tiles in our small 1930s bathroom is the original tile (ceramic?) floor. When I peel up a tile, however, there's all kinds of sticky gunk left on the surface of the original tile. Is there a secret to removing this stuff so that the original tiles aren't damaged? Something eco-friendly, preferably? Also, will original tiles need to be regrouted and reglazed? If any of this is possible/necessary, should I do it myself or hire a professional?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE:: How to Remove Vinyl Tile Adhesive from old Ceramic Tiles?

I thought maybe pics would be helpful:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
RE: How to Remove Vinyl Tile Adhesive from old Ceramic Tiles?

I haven't had to do this myself, thankfully, but some folks seem to have had success using their infrared paint remover, which basically liquifies the gunk in order to scrape it off. The tool is pricey at $300 but rental is also possible.

The original tile looks worth it! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: silent paint remover review

o

Mineral spirtits, a plastic scraper like a windshield ice scraper, and a lot of towels.

o

Thanks for the feedback. :)

floorguy: Do you think these are ceramic tiles? Will the tile then need to be regrouted and resealed?

o

Get down there are try and scrape one with a sharp implement. If they are not ceramic, you will be able to easily cut or gouge the tile.

o

I am in the same boat. peel-and-stick tiles over linoleum (the pretty kind, similar to today's marmoleum). I was worried that any product I used to remove the adhesive would also etch the linoleum. I tried the real milk paint co.'s citrus solvent. Not only did it strip the adhesive without damaging the linoleum underneath, but it's safer than mineral spirits or paint thinner, the other things I was going to try if it didn't work. It's basically just orange oil. Pleasant smell, no noxious fumes. I still have to take care that the rags don't spontaneously combust, but I am very happy to have an easy solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here