Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Partial match wood vs tile

Posted by sdmom (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 0:46

Hi there, I'm new here and hoping for some help. Our home has an existing wood floor in the foyer and kitchen but our sunken living room and family room are carpeted. We really want some sort of solid surface instead of carpet. The wood we have has been really hard to match. We found a partial match that is very pricey. The width matches, grain is pretty good but stain is off a little. We have engineered cherry with a reddish, shiny look that is unusual. We like it and don't want to change the existing wood. Would you recommend using a less than perfect match on the wood or something like tile in the adjacent rooms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Partial match wood vs tile

I had a similar problem, couldn't match the existing 70 year old oak floor in either color or appearance (age vs. new) so decided to stick with oak but went with a darker (yet complimentary) color in the adjoining room. I brought home samples in the color range that I had in mind until I found the ones that just looked the best with the existing floor and my planned wall colors.

I nearly went with cork, though, have you thought about that? I definitely would for a family room. It comes in all sorts of colors and textures and there are some really good prices out there right now. I talked to a guy whose parents have had cork flooring for nearly 50 years and it has held up very well, he said.

o
RE: Partial match wood vs tile

Thanks for the reply. I did consider cork but we have young kids (potty training) and am concerned about accidents. Surprisingly our wood tolerated potty training with our first pretty well. I just had the designer at our house it it just really confused me. I'm leaning towards the less than perfect match....wish we had the money to just tear it all up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here