Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to take the gloss down?

Posted by attofarad (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 0:31

DW and I disagreed on the sheen level for our new rift sawn oak floor. I went with her choice, semigloss. Now done, with 3 coats of oil based poly. Too shiny for me in general, and of course the shine makes anything less than perfect flatness show up.

What is the best way to tone it down? Would a 4th coat, using satin, be too many total coats, and would it fix the sheen (with one additional coat)? Or can the existing semi-gloss just be buffed with something to knock down the sheen level?

This is kitchen, LR, library, halls, MBR.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to take the gloss down?

Another coat of lower gloss will work, make sure it is compatible with what is already there.

You could also use very fine steel whorl on a floor polisher to de-gloss the surface.

You may need to screen the surface for another coat of finish anyway.

o
RE: How to take the gloss down?

We refinished our red oak floors with a satin finish. We have a large area rug. 5years later when I lift the rug to clean I notice that the surrounding floor looks glossy whereas the covered floor still looks satin. Maybe the wear and year has made it buffed? I don't know.

Just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here