Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marmoleum problems in kit chen

Posted by birdienewro (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 23:57

We have Marmoleum tiles in our kitchen in a wonderful pattern.
It has been coming up since it was installed. The dealer said he had to be the one to put in the sub-floor, and he did. The tiles are coming up next to the sink and dishwasher, but there aren't leaks. We have been vigilant about drying drips and spills when we do the dishes. The tiles also come up where there isn't any water--under a desk, near the radiators, doorway into dining room. The dealer has come back twice and replaced and re-glued problem tiles. Anyone know why it's not sticking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marmoleum problems in kit chen

Hope you discovered the reason your tiles are not sticking. My first thought is the wrong adhesive or application. My second thought is a possible problem with the substrate that the material is installed over.

o

Dear Glensfc~~~ Thanks for getting back. As soon as I summon up my courage, I'll call the flooring company~~Ro

o

Sorry it's taken a year to post back! I got in touch with Marmoleum customer service and had a person to person conversation with the Service Manager. He assessed the trouble while we were on the phone. He had me lift some of the tiles that were coming off.
The adhesive had been applied with a serrated trowel. It needed a smooth edged trowel. Additionally, the installers probably let the adhesive get too dry before putting the squares in place. The Service Manager said Marmoleum would help with the replacement price. The whole floor was replaced and I was not shown a bill. There's not a single tile that has budged since. Both Marmoleum and my retailer
deserve the Nobel prize for great service.
Moral of the story: BE SURE YOUR INSTALLER HAS RECENTLY LEARNED THE SPECIAL WAY MARMOLEUM IS INSTALLED.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here