Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
consumer reports reviews on linoleum/marmoleum

Posted by sleepydrj (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 26, 07 at 23:56

I see on the web that Consumer Reports reviewed two types of linoleum in August 2006. The teaser says one type was better for wear and the other excelled at something else.... but no details.

Can somebody out there summarize these findings from the print magazine?

Finally, overall, are there comments on quality or experience with Armstrong linoleum vs Forbo Marmoleum?

I'm planning on putting Marmoleum sheet in my tiny bathroom, and plan to put in marmoleum click in our new kitchen. A local installer recommended looking into Armstrong product. My impression from the Armstrong website was that they had 12 colors on display, and that it was a sort of sham handwave at linoleum, with lots of emphasis on how much care it takes. In other words, the Armstrong linoleum descriptions discourage use of lino, and make vinyl look more appealing. At least that was my impression.

So: what is your experience?
thanks!
J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: consumer reports reviews on linoleum/marmoleum

Summary of the review:

"Linoleum varied widely. Often confused with vinyl, which is plastic, linoleum is mostly linseed oil and wood products. Two brands we tested were best at handling dents and sunlight. But one was vulnerable to scratches, the other to wear."

Armstrong:
Wear: Fair
Scratches: Excellent
Dents: Excellent
Stains: Average
Sunlight (UV fading): Excellent

Marmoleum:
Wear: Very Good
Scratches: Poor
Dents: Excellent
Stains: Average
Sunlight (UV fading): Excellent

o
RE: consumer reports reviews on linoleum/marmoleum

I have Marmoleum in a mudroom/laundry/bath. I'm very happy with how it has held up in the 3 years since install. The only care it gets from me is a weekly vacuum. It does have some scratches, if I look carefully. But I suspect that if I were to apply another coat of the acrylic sealer/polish/whatever that I applyed after install these scratches would disappear. In other words, they are very surface scratches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here