Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christians1

worried about asbestos in flooring

christians1
11 years ago

I have a house that was built in the early 1970's. I recently re-did my kitchen floor. It was vinyl sheet. I pulled it up and scrapped and sanded the paper and glue off of the plywood.

After I did that I realized that there could be asbestos in the paper or glue. I had it tested and it was 20% cellulose with no asbestos detected. (no asbestos is great) but is the cellulose dangerous? I have two small kids that were in the room when I was sanding etc...also, the floor has two sheets of plywood and where the plywood meet each other there seems to be a black or grey filler or glue was used. Could this be asbestos? I know old black glue could be asbestos.

On to the basement. We also have the 9x9 tiles in our basement. The front part has been carpeted. the back which is seperated by a door is all the 9x9 tiles exposed. 1 is missing and about 6 or 8 are cracked.

my kids have walked back there plenty of times. I have used a broom and mopped back there as well.

are all 9x9 tiles asbestos? Should I cover the back ones with another floor/carpet? Is carpet enough to cover??

I would like to move but cannot afford at this time, can an air quality test detect asbestos?

I am really really worried for my childerens health.. Any input is much appreciate.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

First you should always wear protection when doing any kind of sanding. And especially not around children.

The tiles could contain it. But the general rule is its safe as long as you are not disturbing it. I.e sanding.

Even though they are cracked it probably isnt an issue. But getting rid of them is a good idea as long as the funds are available.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

The 9"X9" tiles almost definitely contain the fiber. They are not dangerous, unless sanded, drilled through, ground up (why would you?) or in some other way pulverized.

Don't worry about it.

Cellulose is not dangerous, unless you work in an industry that makes paper products, you are exposed long-term and repeatedly, or you have lung disease or COPD. In my opinion, casual exposure isn't going to impact anyone's health here.

• christians1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great. Thanks for the responses.

I am going to cover the 9x9 tiles.

But when i took up the kitchen floor there was a seam in the middle of the floor where the two peices of plywood met.

It looks like the person used some type of filler/glue over this seam. it covers about 4 inches on either side of the seam and it looks black or dark grey.

Has anyone heard of using cutback glue on seams? its just this dark stuff over top of the seam and am concerned that it might be cutback glue which i hear has asbestos.

I will try to post a picture.

I am going to grab a piece and have it tested but was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of using that for a filler. Or do you think it would be a type of lever compound or something.

Thanks.

this stuff is driving me NUTS!!

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

Old-timers would mix white gypsum-based filler with black emulsion adhesive to make a flexible seam patch with enhanced adhesive properties. That is what you may have there. If that is so, then nothing to worry about, as black cutback adhesive was never used in that formulation.

You have nothing to worry about anyway.