Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doogan123_gw

What flooring?

doogan123
13 years ago

Hi all,

I have been pouring over this forum all day trying to get some direction in terms of flooring companies - and I am just confused :). My main question is on the quality of flooring products. I have spoken with local stores and they have shown me Mohwak, PG model, Mercier, Mannington, mirage, and sommerset.

We are looking at a birch or a maple,4-5" with some character. The leader of the pack right now in terms of look is by "PG Model" which is a canadian company. I cannot find a single comment on this company outside of some canadian business reviews (which were ok)

So - can anyone comment on which company generally makes the better product. Should I be looking at other manufacturers?

any comments greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)

• doogan123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So the one we finally would like to go with is Mercier Hard Maple pacific grade .. but unfortunatly its too much ( 7.89 is best price is can find). The next best is Mohawk Maple (5.79) The problem i am finding wth Mohawk is that they are really just a distributer - i.e. They buy out all the competition - and then they only market what they want They have one maple available whick is odd. (On Hoskins website - its called maple ridge). In the store i am looking at buying from - its called Mullholland Same wood from what i can see - 5 " * 3/4 wide board.

Has anyone got any comments or advice on Mohawk solid wood?

Looking to pull trigger tomorrow/wed

thanks

• CW78
    13 years ago

What did you decide to do? I was trying to decide between Mercier and Mohawk as well. Mohawk has a terrible website and virtually no information on grades of wood, etc. I called customer service and was told they did not give out info on grades of wood or tell customers which lines were low, mid, and high end. I said they had made it so difficult that we would probably go with Mercier to which the guy replied "go ahead". Wow! What a jerk! Through the whole thing I had been both kind and polite and had clearly asked my question about wood grade. I was stunned and decided to forget about Mohawk. Later someone in the flooring business said that Mowhawk is in big financial trouble. They deserve it.

• booboo60
    13 years ago

When dh and me were looking for hardwood our builder put us in touch with a floor guy in the area we were building in( one of his subs). He showed us several samples and he explained each one and the pros and cons. We were satisfied with his knowledge and his selection. Can you not find such a person in your area? Is there not a good flooring business where you can ask these questions? I would not purchase hardwood through a website without KNOWING all about the wood in the first place, too much money, just sayin'!

• Floortech
    13 years ago

I am not a Mohawk fan by any means, but they are not in financial trouble.There is no rumor of such and i would have heard it as I keep my finger right smack dab on the pulse of the flooring industry. There is no excuse what that clown did for you.

• CW78
    13 years ago

I would never buy hardwood flooring over the internet. I do like to make informed choices and flooring salesmen are salesmen and not friends. They want to increase their profit even if it means screwing people over. How do you protect yourself? I do not want to rely on their word----I want to see numbers, graphs, and facts. For instance, I do not want to be told a low end product is mid-range. The manufacturer should be compelled to provide information to the consumer and not toss us like fresh meat to salesmen. Of all the diverse range of products I have purchased over the years, solid pre-finished hardwood flooring has been the biggest challenge. The playing field is not level.

• CW78
    13 years ago

I said nothing of the sort to Mohawk. I just wanted information. I can see you prefer ignorant consumers. Your seething rage and arrogance are uncalled for and appalling. Thank you Joe Expert, son of God.

• Floortech
    13 years ago

Nope..not ignorant customers ..just ones that are looking for help...We used your post in a sales meeting Friday and I thank you for that. It will be in in a formal sales meeting on Tuesday. I had to stop two of my associates from registering on this forum and blasting you for the comments.Your statements were offensive as it took me 10 years to find the 6 salespeople we have. It actually took 79 hires in the last 5 years to get to these 6. I have a phenomenal 6 and they would never ever never ever mislead or misinform a customer to make a sale. Never. I have watched them and I have seen them lose sales to other stores because of their honesty on products. Now I apologize to you if I offended you on your Mohawk phone call, but your attitude towards salespeople actually calls for an apology as people do read these posts and they are driven by search engines. There are great answers for you, but no graphs or charts as they will only be as good as the manufacturer that publishes them. There is no other industry as cut throat as flooring or no other industry as hard to define as flooring. You just need to find that store that has honest salespeople. If you would open your heart and give a heartfelt circumstance to why it is important to you to have some facts to reassure your investment, there are many God Fearing Salespeople, and owners that will steer you straight. It is really your call. Good Luck. PS..you really shouldnt do the Son of God thing..that is really bad and hurtful. Good Luck again.

• linda_ambrose9
    4 years ago

We unfortunately went with pg model flooring and have nothing but problems . We bought the extra finishing surface supposedly better for scratches having a dog but it didn’t matter . I have now a second complaint with the company very slow to respond

and waiting to get an expert opinion on the finish of the this floor , the scratches and little pitted areas where it looks like a small dent . This is supposed to be maple and it is just s cheap byproduct of some

kind . We paid thousands as we had our custom home built . This was the designer recommendations , and he should of informed us better to the quality . we will see how this is going to get fixed ! Stay tuned as I will be writing a blog if we don’t get better customer service soon . Yes buyer beware !

• linda_ambrose9
    4 years ago

So we finally got some service with PGModel flooring

my previous rant was the quality of flooring even though it’s maple it started to pit and orange peel affect . Seems really soft Not maple . We purchased the extra “extreme “ finish “ apparently for pet scratches don’t bother it still will scratch and very difficult to clean . Their policy is “lifetime warranty” what does that mean as I could barely get any customer satisfaction and took two years . Do yourself a favour

stay away from this company

as to me it’s shady and who knows where the flooring comes from . It seems cheap to us , even though we paid top dollar . Go to someone local you can trust and test the flooring first .

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

@linda Which product did you purchase? Is it engineered or solid?

It appears the only model for the Model Extreme = Krafla. This shows it is available in both solid and engineered. It would help others if you could narrow down your situation (I'm sorry this has happened to you). Photos would be SUPER.

• linda_ambrose9
    4 years ago

It’s solid

yes I will post pics

• egarciaonline
    4 years ago

@linda_ambrose9 Sorry for your experience with PG Model, but I’d also love to see pics as we are looking to buy this soon. We loved the look of the Hard Maple in Oasis but I haven’t seen any reviews of PG Model.