Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjordanx4

Hardwood floor issues

kjordanx4
11 years ago

We recently had our hardwood floors refinsihed. We have boards that appear "dry" compared to surrounding boards in several areas. Our floor guy says this is normal, is it? We think another coat of poly would solve this issue. Also, we have a large area of poly that looks as if its puddled, simply not spread out to the wall. Can this be repaired without a complete re-do of poly? Our foyer, dining room, and kitchen are all connected. Doing the simple "fix" of a rug won't work based on where the issue is. Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (6)

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

The dryiness issue can or cannot be an issue. Its tough to say without a picture. Everyones definition of dry is a bit different. A picture would be helpful. But generally speaking if an area looks dry it needs another coat.

The puddle issue is just sloppy finishing. IF it is a puddle and not something else.

Depending the size it can be addressed abd a good pro can make it blend.
    But sometimes the puddle needs to be sanded out. And depending on the location and the layout it may or may not need to have the entire room recoated.

Sorry for generalizing but without more info (ie PICS) thats the best i can do

• kjordanx4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The "puddling" can be seen just above the quarter round on the left side of the picture.

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

Ok i see it.
    Yep thats a puddle. Not a bad one. But definitely something i would br upset about if i paid someone to finish my floors.

That can be fixed without having to recoat the entire floor.
    Is your floor guy going to fix it?

If he insists on recoating the entire floor ( which i dont think he needs to) dont let him charge you to do it. This is his fault he should fix it free of charge.

If you are doing it yourself let me know and ill give you some basic steps to go about fixing it.

• kjordanx4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My floor guy is coming tomorrow. I wanted to know what some of my options may be before talking to him. If he feels a recoat is needed, between the dry areas and puddling, can that be done without having to sand everything down and start from scratch? Surely...
    If he feels it can be fixed without recoating the whole floor, how would he do that?

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

He wont need to sand down to bare wood. If he does add another coat he will just lightly sand the top layer of finish and the apply the coat.

When i told you ge could fix the puddle i didnt take into consideration of the dry spots i was simply refering to fixing only the puddle.

The puddle just needs some precision sanding. If hes good he can make it work work without recoating everything.

The dry spots could possibly be done the same way although depending on the degree of dryness he may just opt to recoat the whole floor.

• kjordanx4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much! At least I won't meet with him today and not be prepared. It's a shame, that at least in our area, you never know if you're getting an honest answer, or just simply hearing what will be the cheapest and easiest for them.