Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-slip rug on vinyl

Posted by frank1965 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 21:50

Just put down Allure floor and can't find any rugs that are not latex backed. There's alot of olefin rugs but I think that is as bad as latex. I used latex on my kitchen vinyl before I knew better and it has never yellowed- lucky I guess. Don't want to chance it again though. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-slip rug on vinyl

Why are you worried about a latex-backed rug? It won't stain vinyl or anything else. I've had sets of latex-backed runners in my kitchen for decades on both sheet vinyl and solid vinyl tile, with no issues at all.

They don't harm my hardwood floors, either. We always use padding underneath our handmade Orientals. You might be thinking of the old-style foam padding, which used to deteriorate and stick to flooring. The newer stuff, especially closed-cell latex, works great.

o

Well, the manufacturer explicitely states no latex backed rugs. Like I said I got away with it in the kitchen but with my luck I'll have a big yellow stain to look at for a long time.

o

I was told NOT to use anything with a latex backing on our new vinyl because it will discolor the area. I have seen vinyl floors with discoloration from rugs and they look nasty.

Now, I will only use rugs without a backing. Yes, they move, but I'd rather keep my floor looking new then take any chances especially since the installer and salesperson explicidly said not to.

o

Don't know if this will work for you but I used to buy a spray stuff that I used on the backs of entry rugs in some condo buildings. It prevented them from sliding on ceramic entryways. I sprayed a six inch area on each end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here