Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
$22 Oak Stair Treads from Lowes

Posted by daisyadair (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 21:46

Such a deal!

We are having a second go at re-vamping our stairs. The landing wood will be a really nice dark maple that we recently put in a couple of rooms upstairs.

I was able to find a SW classic cherry stain, which is an amazing match to the landing wood.

Now, just 19 more treads to stain, risers to paint and install . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: New Treads

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: $22 Oak Stair Treads from Lowes

They look nice. What are you using for a top coat?

o

Wait a minute...aren't you the one that did the great job painting your stairs? Why did you decide to change?

o

I am top coating it with SW satin varnish.

Weedy, yes we did paint the stairs!!! It worked out very well. Then, we removed the last of the carpet in the house and got some gorgeous, dark maple to replace it. I found out that there was a stair nose to go with the maple, and asked my husband if we could also do the stairs and landing. He said, let's do the landing and we'll just stain some new treads to match it.

I had brought home a tread for him to look at before we took the carpet out, and he elected to sand and paint rather than replace.

That's how things work around here sometimes. Sometimes he over-rules me, and then sometime later, he has to do it the way I originally asked .

I think painting the treads is still a good option in a lot of circumstances. It also is more suited to a more country styled home than a traditional one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here