Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is happening to my new wooden floors?

Posted by chrischen377 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 21:45

My condo unit was flooded with water by a neighbouring unit. Property management sent in a team to remove all my damaged laminate floors and drywall. Many months later, I had all my laminate floors removed and replaced with new engineered hardwood floors as of summer 2013.

Lately, I've been seeing parts of my floor start to "bubble up". I don't know how else to describe it other than swelling or something. It's happening throughout my unit in many different spots. I've included some photos of the bubbling.

http://imgur.com/a/M5cRf

One board's corner is starting to prop up.

http://imgur.com/a/74kXe

Since these floors are new, can anyone give me some insight as to what's going on and why? I didn't have any problems with my laminate floor and was very surprised to see it happening to my current floor now.

Thanks all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of bubbling floor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is happening to my new wooden floors?

That's an engineered floor that's delaminating. Call your dealer and you'll probably need to pay an NWFA or other accredited inspector to do some testing and determine the cause.

o

Perhaps your subfloor still had some moisture from the flood. Did they check the moisture content of the subfloor before installing the laminate? This moisture could be causing the laminate to buckle.

o

the poster said this is new engineered wood floor

o

What was the installation method for the floor? What is the subfloor made of? Did they test for moisture levels in the subfloor? How do you clean it?

o

Well, the floor was finally inspected. At first glance, the dealer thought it was cupping due to moisture underneath the flooring but after checking his moisture meter readings, he couldn't find any underneath. In fact, he said the home was too dry by showing me the relative humidity was just under 10%.

It was similar to what happened in the following article.
http://hardwoodfloorsmag.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=1735&zoneid=1

I thought the worse that could happen would be big gaps in the flooring but I wasn't expecting cupping and delamination.

I was also surprised because some new condos being built nearby will include engineered hardwood as a standard but if condos are known to be so dry during the winter, how could the engineered wood last after one year?

By the way, my floor brand is Mercier in case anyone was wondering.

o

So what is the outcome of your meeting?

o

Mercier is a good product, however...any engineered wood flooring product can check, crack and delaminate under extreme dry conditions. Even solid wood flooring and furniture can exhibit stress due to
extreme dryness. I had a beautiful maple floor go absolutely nuts in an extreme dry environment...and so did one of the customer's hanging kitchen cabinets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here