Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeberries

last coat of finish skipped?

threeberries
11 years ago

Hi all - My 5" hardwood maple floors were recently finished. They are supposed to get 1 coat of sealer and 2 coats of Bona Traffic (a super tough water-based poly), which we requested and paid extra for.

We know when the floors got one coat, since that's an obvious change. Our builder said his floor people would be putting down the second (last) coat on a particular day. We stopped by the house on that day and the floors hadn't been done, but the day wasn't over. We stopped by again 1-2 days later and the floors looked the same kind of dirty with what appeared to be the same protective paper laid down and everything in the same place, and nothing smelled different. We kept waiting for the floors to get their last coat. We are over every few days and we can always tell when something has been done. It was the consistent dirtiness of the floors that made me assume they hadn't gotten their last coat.

Now 2 weeks after the first coat, our builder just told us (because we asked) that the floor did get its last coat on that original day. That surprised us. So today we took a very close look at the floors. Running our hands over it, they feel almost like bare wood. You can feel the very minor seams between some planks. I would have thought 1 coat of sealer and 2 coats of poly would make it feel... different somehow. Smoother, less like bare wood. We selected a satin finish and it's a very low sheen, but we are not confusing the lack of sheen with not enough coats.

Another thing I noticed is that when there is a really tiny groove in between planks, it's still visible (as a miniscule gap) and the tip of my fingernail can catch it. These are small enough grooves that I would have thought 2 coats would seal that up.

Also, if I run my fingernail across the floor hard, I can make marks that you can see when the light shines on it, although they are not scratches through the finish. Not sure if that is normal or indicates anything. I'm confused why if Bona Traffic is supposed to be so tough my fingernails can make marks. We did see some Bona Traffic bottles in the house so I think they did use it. But, perhaps another clue - we only saw empty bottles in the house after the first coat, and never again.

I'm not an expert, but if you asked me to guess what was on the floor based on inspection/feel I'd say one REALLY thin coat. Based on my description, what do you guys make of this? I realize I can't know everything that happens in the house so it's hard to know anything for sure.

I'm afraid this will be one of those situations where the floor guys tell my builder "Yes of course we did all the coats" and we have no way to know. If we brought an expert (e.g. professional floor finisher) to the house would they be able to tell? We're closing in 3 days! Argh.

Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (3)

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

Its possible they shorted you a coat. Its hard to say based off your description.

Keep in mind your floors wont be smooth like a Bar top. You will be able to feel the variations in boards. Although it shouldnt feel rough. Along the length of a plank should be smooth.

The marks your making with your fingernail. Stop it! The floor is either getting to full cure. Even though you opted for the Traffic. It still takes time to fully cure.

Is you GC got a good reputation? Good GC's use good subs. Doubtful a good GC would use a shotty sub but its not impossible too.
    If youd feel better call a floor inspector.
    If the floor only has a sealer and one coat he will be able to tell.

• threeberries
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gregmills - thanks for your response. The floor has fully cured since it's been over a week since they said the last coat went on.

My biggest question is why the hairline gaps are there - I would have thought the poly finish would fill them in. That's the biggest reason why I'm wondering if something wasn't done. I called Bona and they said I should look into it with the contractor and they would have thought the tiny gaps would fill in, but I'm not sure how I can really get answers on this. So much of house building/renovating seems to be a battle of opinions and questions where nothing can be proved unless you are physically present at all times. I don't mean to assume anyone's cheating or doing a bad job, but at the same time when I have questions I feel like I have no way to get a firm answer with proof of anything. It's very frustrating and makes me feel powerless. Especially since everything goes through my builder and most of the time I can't speak with the contractors directly.

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

The "poly" soaks into the wood. And on top of that wood expands and contracts. Its quite possible the wood has shifted already.

Is this your first hardwood floor?

If you can snap some pics.