Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxman_gw

Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -

luxman
14 years ago

Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian direct online website (http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/). Any feedback good or bad? How is their product quality?

Comments (73)

• geo4
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bosdiyer
    What brand is that floor it looks great. I am dealing with Brazilian direct also but haven't decided on wood. Wife wants teak but don't know how good it hold up gaps etc. I think it the color she loves matches our stained wood trim. Thanks

• geo4
    10 years ago

Bosdiyer
    What brand is that floor it looks great. I am dealing with Brazilian direct also but haven't decided on wood. Wife wants teak but don't know how good it hold up gaps etc. I think it the color she loves matches our stained wood trim. Thanks

• geo4
    10 years ago

Bosdiyer

• millworkman
    10 years ago

geo4, posting the same question multiple times will not get someone to answer you any quicker. Sometimes it will show impatience on your part and make people less apt to answer.

• bosdiyer
    10 years ago

Hi geo4
    It's amendoim. And the picture doesn't really do it justice. I suggest you do what we did. Order a box and lay it out so you can really get to see it. It's about 20 square feet so you can really get a feel for it. Ask them for a sample box from a large lot so you'll be sure to get very similar colors and grain patterns. Just be ready to order if you love it so you'll have a really good idea of what you'll be getting. If you wait until the lot you sampled is gone, it will still be nice but it may be a bit difference than what you sampled.
    Also, be sure you really let it sit for at least a couple of weeks. One last thing - for all of these denser woods, you can't use a standard 16 gauge staple gun. You need to use 18 gauge L cleats or you'll be splitting the tongues all over the place. I'll be posting the "saga" of the first stage of this project in about 10 days after I get the wall cabinets up in the kitchen and can get most of the stuff piled on the floor moved so you can see the expanse of the amendoim. I just have to figure out where to post it!
    Good luck.

• geo4
    10 years ago

Millworking man I will have a talk with my I phone about popsting the questions too many time,I just dont know why the phone does that ..
    Bosdiyer I am also dealing with Braizilain Direct and wanted
    the know how the company treats you.I also do like the wood you putting down since we will doing 1800 sq feet .please let me know how it out.. thanks George

• bosdiyer
    10 years ago

Be happy to geo4. As I said in my initial post - I wouldn't hesitate to do business with BD again. They have been responsive, helpful, and knowledgeable through every phase of the process. As far as the flooring itself, we really love the amendoim. The color palette and intricate grain patterns are perfect for us. Exotic hardwoods are really a matter of personal taste, but for us this was the best choice.

This post was edited by bosdiyer on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 12:01

• geo4
    10 years ago

Uniquewoodflooring I really like the picture and my wife likes it also. I notice that it comes in 5 inches or the smaller 3 wide.Is the 3 inches more stable then the 5? And I am guessing it might be more stable then the teak. Thanks for the picture.

• geo4
    10 years ago

Bosdiyer what gloss level did you pick? My wife likes the wider boards . So we learn from you and other people on here .

• bosdiyer
    10 years ago

Our floor has a 45% sheen. My wife was originally concerned that it might be too reflective, so we looked at samples of 30% sheen as well. For us, the issue was that the lower sheen level wasn't available in 3.25" widths; only 3 and 4 inch widths. The 3" was too narrow for us and the 4 was too wide. We went with the 3.25 with 45% sheen and her reservations disappeared as the flooring went down. All of these choices are really a matter of personal taste. With this wood it's hard to go wrong. If you look at the in progress photos I posted earlier in this thread, you'll see that the angle the light is hitting at has a lot to do with how "shiny" it looks. This was true of the lower sheen as well.

• geo4
    10 years ago

Has anyone been happy with Brazilian Teak from Braizilian Direct.
    Seems a lot of people post that they have purchase flooring but never follow up later with the reviews.
    Bosdiyer about the only one. As far as ordering online I have ordered every plumbing item from Faucet direct and always got a great product at a cheaper price. The hardwood we mow have I ordered from Bruce at a reduce price and it was just great.
    All I am looking for is a newer update on Braizilian Direct Thank you for the time.George

• geo4
    10 years ago

I have decided to go ahead and order over 600 sq ft of teak plus 14 steps from Braizilian Direct,Since late June I have been talking or emailing a Lady name Shannon ,Shannon has answered everone of my emails fast and sometime very early and late at night.I promise to give only the facts as it unfolds and to come back in a 6 month and a year to give updates on how the teak is working out .
    Shannon has sent me information on how to procced once the truck arrives at my home and i intend to follow each and ever step that Shannon told me too.only common sense..My email is below and I will give honest answer to anyone whom emails me.
    If the Teak is good I will tell you if it is bad I will also tell you.but i will not lie just the truth.I have not spoken to anyone on the phone at Brazilian Direct just emails
    Thank everone for the time to read this when the teak is ordered this week I will post it here..I did contact an unhappy customers of Brazilian direct this week end and never heared anything thing back from that customer.As of now I will give Shannon an A+ George

• geo4
    10 years ago

I place my order today with Brazilian Direct for 705 feet of Brazilian Teak .the order should arrive this Monday or Tuesday.I was advise to take photo inside the truck and of each damage box and to email Brazilian Direct about damage and they would deal with it.
    Also I got information on installing it ..
    And a letter saying (DO NOT INSTALL IF WOOD IS DEFECT TO CONTACT US ASAP..)
    Moisture has to be withing a certain % of the sub floor and the teak.As of now Brazilian Direct has sent a lot of information to me and answered ever email I sent since last of June this 2013 to now even on weekends and at night.So now we wait on the delivery and see what shape it is in and etc.Thank each and everone for reading this ..George

• michadka
    10 years ago

After reading prior reviews I was very cautious about my dealings with Brazilian Hardwood. I spoke with Nicole several times and had a dozen email exchanges if not more. Finally I ended up buying almost 1000sf of 3/4 inch prefinished 5" tigerwood that I was installing myself. Now that my floor is done I can tell you that I could not be more pleased with my choice of floors or companies to deal with. Delievery was quick and as scheduled. Product was first rate and I'll be back to deal with them should I have any other hardwood flooring need. Thank you to Nicole and whoever else handled my order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brazilian Hardwood

• geo4
    10 years ago

My order from Brazilian Direct for 700 feet of brazilian teak was delivered today.The teak was very well wrap and package.I open 2 boxes of teak and the floor is super nice .40% sheen level.Shannon at Brazilian Direct never failed to answer my endless emails and so far everthing that shannon has said has been true.But the install is 3 weeks out but for now Brazilian Direct has a happy customer and I will be ordering more teak from them.

• geo4
    10 years ago

My Teak flooring from Brazilian Direct is starting it 2nd week sitting in the rooms. My installer will start on the 10/21/13. Also I got an email that my trim and stair noseing were ship out by UPS..
    I will keep this going and hope my experience will help some one. George

• geo4
    10 years ago

My trim and stair nosing came by UPS .
    There is two bad pieces in the box. I took a picture of them email the pictures to Shannon at Brazilian Direct.
    I received an email from Brazilian Direct that The bad trim would be replace with new ones.

• geo4
    10 years ago

Today my 2 pieces of trim came by UPS to replace the 2 that were bad
    No hassle from Brazilian Direct about replacing the two bad stair nosing. Just fast service in 5 business days. Installing the teak will start Monday and we see how this works out. George

• jefferson17
    10 years ago

Our experience with Brazilian Direct and Dan Cosgrove was outstanding in all respects. We chose 4" Brazilian Teak (Cumaru). Many photos really do not do this stuff justice. It has an incredible warmth and richness, with wonderful variations across many medium tones.

We ordered some 600 square feet - 4" width - to make sure we had a good amount of overage for our diagonal install, and could also afford to skip pieces that were overly short or too light.

Note: VERY few pieces were "too light" for our taste. The quality of the material is just first rate. We gave it PLENTY of time to acclimate, several months actually. Every board was true to width - exactly 4".

I'm not saying that Sam didn't have issues. But he should certainly have stopped the install immediately upon finding them. 5" wide material is VERY wide. It needs a full acclimatization period, with proper climate control. And that climate control must be continued, if one isn't willing to let a natural product do what it is going to do.

This post was edited by jefferson17 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 17:56

• geo4
    10 years ago

We have the master bedroom done , we had zero waste except for the cuts that were made. The Teak is very well milled same size lots of long boards a few boards like 12 inches but not many at all. Color is outstanding. The joints are very fine very tight almost invisible. As of now I give this room a ten. I ordered ten percent for waste or bad wood but looks like I might have a few boxes left over. So now I want to see if this teak gaps or not. 2 inche cheats. Were used with felt paper under .thanks to Shannon George

• geo4
    10 years ago

We have painted the rooms as we went before the teak was installed
    I really do not know how to describe this floor, it adds a richness and more elegant to the rooms.
    It just feels different.The teak matches all the stain wood in our house and the wood furniture. This is one floor that we really love pictures do not do it justice neither does a sample piece
    Nothing shows how fine this wood is until it is install. We had almost 0 waste all fitted together very tight and still is. Now we are thinking of ordering 1300 more sq feet for our kitchen and dinning room. I would give Brazilian Direct and Shannon an A+ on this floor.

• geo4
    10 years ago

My teak floor is in its 5 month so far everything is still great. The wood seams are tight no cupping of the teak. Everyone who sees it loves it. I do watch my humidity level and adjust the HVAC to control the levels on moisture in the air. My highest was around 45% but the teak seem ok with this lowest is 29% this February average humidity ranges 38%. We are perfect happy with this floor from Brazilian Direct. It is everything that Shannon said it would be. Again almost no waste on this wood ,,waste came from the install cutting etc. George

• James Wellman
    10 years ago

I purchased the exact same product that samburnell is complaining about. There is one major difference. I followed the directions provided by the flooring company and reinforced by Nikki Pasquini and Dan Cosgrove.
    It is essential to properly acclimate the flooring and just as important to work with an installer that is skilled enough to know if the product is ready to be installed. The result was a magnificent transformation of four rooms with 5" solid brazilian walnut. The look is absolutely breathtaking. No gaps. Nothing but consistent, beautiful, rich colors of brazilian walnut flooring. I sent photos to Brazilian Direct with a thank you note for their assistance in the process. I sincerely hope they will post the pictures for all to see.

Sam, if you and your floor installer had checked the flooring before proceeding, you would have noticed the fact that 50 percent of the planks had width problems. So don't begin installation. The instructions clearly state to call Brazilian Direct if you see any problems whatsoever.

Brazilian Direct is a fabulous supplier of great hardwood flooring. It's simply wrong to disparage a fine Company like this just because you screwed the pooch.

• James Wellman
    10 years ago

I purchased the exact same product that samburnell is complaining about. There is one major difference. I followed the directions provided by the flooring company and reinforced by Nikki Pasquini and Dan Cosgrove.
    It is essential to properly acclimate the flooring and just as important to work with an installer that is skilled enough to know if the product is ready to be installed. The result was a magnificent transformation of four rooms with 5" solid brazilian walnut. The look is absolutely breathtaking. No gaps. Nothing but consistent, beautiful, rich colors of brazilian walnut flooring. I sent photos to Brazilian Direct with a thank you note for their assistance in the process. I sincerely hope they will post the pictures for all to see.

Sam, if you and your floor installer had checked the flooring before proceeding, you would have noticed the fact that 50 percent of the planks had width problems. So don't begin installation. The instructions clearly state to call Brazilian Direct if you see any problems whatsoever.

Brazilian Direct is a fabulous supplier of great hardwood flooring. It's simply wrong to disparage a fine Company like this just because you screwed the pooch.

• James Wellman
    10 years ago

• James52
    9 years ago

I got 600 sq ft of Brazilian Cherry solid 3/4 and started gluing today. I opened 4 boxes.
    I found width of some of them slightly different from others.
    and one is warped too much to use.
    I will update as I finish my job.

• geo4
    9 years ago

James why put the floor down if it is defected ? I am sure Braizilian Direct will make it right. My teak floor is just great.

• geo4
    9 years ago

This is almost a year since I ordered my teak floor from Brazilian Direct the floor is still looking great and have not cracked or anything yet. Looks the same as when it was first install. Yes We would order this floor again .We still love this Teak Floor.

• rbpdx
    9 years ago

Can somebody share how much did it cost them per sqft for these flooring?

• geo4
    9 years ago

Pdxkit this is the email to the lady i dealt with Shannon@brazilianhardwood.com. She be happy to answe u question

• geo4
    9 years ago

This marks 12 months of having the Brazilian Teak that I got from Brazilian Direct.
    The teak is still doing just great it has not separated at all and no dents or dings on it from the pets and moving furniture around. We did order online from BD because the prices here in Cincinnati area is way too high.Ever thing Shannon over at BD told me was true. I waited 4 months a bit long for the wood to set in our home a profession installed was used with 15 lbs. felt under the wood. My subfloor was a bit over ten years old. At first after the teak was installed I worried about the humidity level in our home tried to keep it around 35% after a few months of fighting with the humidity we said the heck with it let the teak do what it wants too then we just kept the home at a comfortable level for us. temp around 69 degrees in summer and 70 to 71 degrees in winter. And the teak flooring has not moved at all no gaps in it joints are tight.
    We clean the floor with vinegar and water making sure it is dry. We have also use product by Bruce flooring called hardwood cleaner that works good also.
    but 12 months later I would install this floor again it is an amazing product that goes with almost ever thing from our furniture to our stained wood baseboards and doors.
    On my order there was almost no waste in fact only waste was what the installer cut off the ends etc.. I would give the teak and BD a 10 star rating.. I will keep updating on this wood so new buyers will have something to go by. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all

This post was edited by geo4 on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 13:12

• jfricko
    9 years ago

I have had the wonderful experience of working with BD for 3 property so far. All ordered with staff at BD and no problems. Installer on last job said he had never seen such a fine product for what I paid. Very happy times 3 with order, shipping , follow up and care respect shown by BD

• lknepptune
    9 years ago

Jack1234 did you use quarter sawn Brazilian cherry and are you still happy with your flooring? Has anyone else used 5" unfinished quarter sawn Brazilian cherry from BD with good results/problems? Thanks

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Chachd, I love your floors so much! Now I wish I installed a plywood subfloor and ordered what you ordered. The floors are gorgeous!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Bosdiyer, I just love your Amendiom hardwood floors! I now wish I went with Brazilian Direct for longer boards.

• PRO
    Brazilian Direct, Ltd
    7 years ago

Brazilian Direct, Ltd - Quakertown, PA, US 18951 - Houzz
    www.houzz.com › Professionals › Building Supplies
    Houzz
    Rating: 4.9 - ‎48 reviews
    Brazilian Direct, Ltd., was founded in May 2002. ... Brazilian Direct sells both prefinished and unfinished exotic/tropical hardwood flooring from around the world. ... Our core product line is Brazilian Cherry, Brazilian Teak, Brazilian Walnut, Santos Mahogany and Tigerwood, solid and ...

• PRO
    Brazilian Direct, Ltd
    7 years ago

BBB Accreditation A+

6 resolved complaints in 12 years nationally

1 resolved in 3 years

A BBB Accredited Business since 8/19/2004

BBB has determined that Brazilian Direct, LTD. meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.

BBB accreditation does not mean that the business' products or services have been evaluated or endorsed by BBB, or that BBB has made a determination as to the business' product quality or competency in performing services.

http://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-eastern-pa/business-reviews/manufacturers-and-producers/brazilian-direct-ltd-in-quakertown-pa-75001117/

• Sam Burnell
    7 years ago

Regarding my above post, all matters with Brazilian Direct have been resolved to my complete satisfaction.

• Kelber
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sam, Were your issues really resolved to your satisfaction? If so, how? Did they reimburse you the amount or just made you say that you are happy? Curious as I am considering hardwood and they are on my shortlist.

Does anyone know how to private message on the forum here?

• w_bush
    7 years ago

Sam Burnell, how can you prove you are the same guy who posted above comments 6 years ago? And they resolved the issue till more than 5 years later?

• Kelber
    7 years ago

Looks a little fishy as they are posted from two different handles. The original Sam seem to be more eloquent and vocal whereas the "new" Sam seems to be more curt and not forth coming about how it was resolved (if it was resolved). I am thinking the new Sam is Brazilian Direct under an alias.

Either way, got turned off by this whole fiasco, and bought my wood from somewhere else which worked out really well, just installing. Let us hope it goes well.

• bosdiyer
    7 years ago

I can't speak to Sam Burnell's authenticity - either his original posts or the latest ones ... what I can tell you is that I've been dealing with this company since 2013 ( you can check my previous posts) and in that time I've purchased 3 rather large (for me) orders for Amendoim flooring and they've been nothing but first rate as a supplier.

They are very responsive, technically savvy, and their pricing is excellent.

When I wanted to mix flooring from 2 different mills, they could have just shipped me the materials, instead they cautioned that the different sheen levels wouldn't mix attractively and saved me a big headache ... and they were right.

I can't explain SB's 2012 diatribe, but I do know that in today's society people rarely are willing to accept responsibility for their own mistakes. I think the fact that as far as I can tell he's the only person posting a negative review speaks volumes about the culpability in his situation.

I've essentially redone all the flooring in our home with wood from brazilianhardwood with the exception of the bathrooms and the laundry room so I won't be ordering more, but I would give them an unqualified recommendation as a reliable and responsive merchant to do business with

• PRO
    RE/MAX PLUS
    7 years ago

Hello, has anyone installed the Koa from BD. Any recommendations or reviews?. We are looking at the 5 inch prefinished. So far Niki from BD has been very on Point and helpful

• PRO
    Li'l Inspirations, LLC
    6 years ago

Just got off the phone with Dan - the owner / person in charge at Brazilian Direct / Brazilian Hardwood. He is the most rude person! I asked he if had a particular prefinished hardwood in stock, etc. etc. because I want to finish an existing project from earlier and ran out of wood. For some reason he immediately started attacking me saying, I probably purchased low grade quality from LL, etc. etc. and he's not going to get involved with that (blah blah blah).

Little did he know the wood that I currently have probably actually came from his warehouse (indirectly) because the mill I purchased from directly isn't currently manufacturing the type of wood anymore and thought BD might have some since they have shipped to them in the past.

I will not and do not recommend purchasing from BD. Dan is extremely rude and condescending. I asked where his store / warehouse is located in Pennsylvania and he hung up on me!

• PRO
    Brazilian Direct, Ltd
    6 years ago

Sandra, FIX - Borrow then replace with new 17 - Brazilian Direct Ltd. Flooring Inquiry
    by Dan Cosgrove

For 15 years BD Ltd. has had a 500 square foot Minimum.

This policy was in place as we cannot get involved with trying to match what we did not sell you.

The other larger reasons are listed below.

Brazilian Direct Ltd. - Exceeding Customer Expectations for over 15 years
    Mill Direct Premium Exotic Hardwood Flooring, Lumber and Decking

Hardwood Flooring Repair - Do Not over commit or over promise!

Lost a lot of industry buddies trying to do a favor (100sf repair) for a friend.

Hardwood Flooring Repair (IF weaving/patching)

After 30 years, I will say this. On unfinished flooring, the only way to try to weave or patch a repair on an old Exotic/Tropical hardwood floor (or any hardwood flooring) is to figure out a smart way, to use the existing hardwood flooring on site.

We recommend that you borrow the hardwood flooring from the closets or from a back room (pop the last few rows) to do the repair. Then replace the newly created inconspicuous areas, with whatever you find that is close. Only way you can guarantee the match is with the same hardwood they used during the original installation. Then the entire floor should be then resanded.

Prefinished adds another issue as now you have oxidation (darkening), the micro-bevel and gloss levels to contend with. Most exotics will change depending on species from light to dark approximately 25-35%. Sheen levels will vary per manufacture and the gloss level will have dulled and have scratches after years use. It is even more important with pre-finished to borrow then replace. Even the exact same product will be 25% lighter in color, the sheen will be different as the finish will be new. Make your repair with hardwood on the job. Then find something, as close as you can and install that in the area that is not highly visibility.

In the end, it will never match perfectly, so do not over state. This is as close as you can get it.

This applies to ALL species: Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba), Brazilian Teak (Cumaru), Santos Mahogany (Cabreuva), Brazilian Walnut (Ipe), Brazilian Koa (Tigerwood), Bolivian Rosewood (Tiete-Sirari), Tiete Chestnut (Sucupira), Amendoim, Patagonian Rosewood (Curupau), ETC.

We want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

PS: The insurance company should pay for complete removal & tear out for the entire room - doorway to doorway.

That is the real answer.

------------------Followup # 2 was Sandra, was also explaining to the different grades, another reason we do not try to match. LL lies and calls this species Bolivian Rosewood, which it is not, (Bolivian Rosewood is Morado & cost 4 x more) so there is a lot of confusion about this species. In addition, I then said upon hanging up, that I have another call I must take, as a conference call with Brazil started at 11 am, I had to jump on this call. So sorry if I cut the call short and appear to be rude, that was not my intent. Dan Here are essentially four grades of exotic flooring:
    - Straight-grain (quarter-sawn)
    - Premium/A grade (Clear)
    - Select and Better (S & B)
    - Select-grade

All of our flooring at Brazilian Direct Ltd. is Premium/A grade flooring. Advantages of using Premium/A grade flooring over select grade include longer average lengths, less color variation from board to board, and less waste requirement.

Brazilian Direct does carry straight-grain flooring as well. Straight-grain or quarter-sawn flooring is only available in unfinished Brazilian Cherry and Santos Mahogany. We recommend this floor specifically for radiant heat application.

Brazilian Direct does not offer select-grade flooring. Brazilian Direct discourages the sale of select-grade flooring due to quality issues.

Quarter-sawn or straight-grain flooring is a slightly different cut of hardwood flooring than clear grade. It has the same features as clear grade; however, it is cut so all grain runs vertically. This minimizes the risk of horizontal board expansion, making quartersawn the only choice for radiant heat applications. This premium cut will carry a higher price.

Premium/A Grade (Clear) is the highest grade of hardwood flooring available for that species. It offers the minimum number of character marks and discoloration, providing a uniform appearance while allowing for natural color variations. Premium/A grade flooring has the longest average board lengths as well as the highest quality milling. Our average clear grade board length is 38.5".

Select & Better grade flooring (S & B) is a ranking assigned by some mills in Brazil indicating the highest grade of flooring they offer. S & B offers the minimum number of character marks and discoloration, providing a uniform appearance while allowing for natural color variations. S & B grade flooring is synonymous with longer average board lengths as well as exceptional quality milling. Our average S & B grade board length is 35-37".

Select-grade flooring (not offered) is a lower grade of flooring than clear grade. It has more character marks and possible discoloration, creating a less uniform appearance. Small knots and some imperfections in face work are acceptable. A typical average length for select grade flooring is 28".

• PRO
    Brazilian Direct, Ltd
    6 years ago

I replied in Facebook but it was already marked as spam. As it turns out the customer was looking for 300 sf, so I mentioned that we have limited supply but I would check stock in 20 warehouses but filling out a RFQ - Request for Quote is best way to communicate @ here http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/products/

Rosewood (Tiete-Sirari) Solid Prefinished 3/4" x 3" x RL 1'-7' Premium/A Grade (Limited Stock) - Rosewood (Tiete-Sirari) Solid Prefinished 3/4" x 3 1/4" x RL 1'-7' Premium/A Grade (have some would have to check) - Rosewood (Tiete-Sirari) Solid Prefinished 3/4" x 3 1/2" x RL 1'-7' Premium/A Grade - Rosewood (Tiete-Sirari) Solid Prefinished 3/4" x 4" x RL 1'-7' Premium/A Grade & Rosewood (Tiete-Sirari) Solid Prefinished 3/4" x 5" x RL 1'-7' Premium/A Grade (too wide for NE Market & must be glued) ... turns out she is trying to match, here trying to help - Dan

• PRO
    Li'l Inspirations, LLC
    6 years ago

I don't even know what Dan is talking about in the above. I don't have a problem with my current hardwood flooring (from a different company). It is a premium exotic hardwood. I love my current hardwood floors and am looking to put more hardwood flooring in different parts of the house. I was just looking for a quote on a certain amount of square footage on a certain type of wood and all I received from Dan was rudeness, condescension, and a disdain personality. I thought I would purchase from them since they are close enough to actually go and visit their showroom - not going to happen. Now, he won't stop harassing me.

• linda rodgers
    4 years ago

I have a comment about my experience with Dan Cosgrove. Unfortunately, It is not good. I bought 4000 sq ft of Brazilian Walnut, or Ipe flooring - that is $23K worth. According to everything i read, this company had a high integrity. However, my experience was otherwise. The wood that was sent for the stairs was incorrect. Dan orders these from a mill , and they are shipped directly. The stairs are 48" wide. When i received the materials, the stair treads were 48"..... but the risers were only 42". Obviously this was a mistake, either by Dan and his staff., or by the mill. Someone shipping this should have realized, that the stair treads and the risers will have to be the same length. This will obviously someone else's fault, and I should not be left holding this bill. I contacted Dan immediately, who did nothing. Initially he wrote me. "i guess I will have to eat it..... " But then he simply went silent on the whole problem. I waited 3 weeks-- my entire flooring job was held up, while we waited for Dan to tell us whether he would replace the incorrect 42" risers, or he would send a check to replace them with a local supplier. In the end, I had to purchase 16 Ipe risers, from a local supplier, for the correct width .... at a cost of about $800, plus tax! Dan simply ignored me, which was disappointing, because i felt that their company had a better integrity . So i would say, reconsider doing business with them. I do not like to leave a negative review.... but my experience is that if there is a problem, i don't believe this company would do the right thing, and stand behind a mistake.

So for that reason, no i would not recommend them. It seems strange to me, that a company would sell me $23K worth of product, and then withhold paying for an $800 mistake. But that was exactly my experience. I have waited over a month, and dan has never sent me a check , or communicated with me at all, to resolve this .

• linda rodgers
    3 years ago

This is a follow up to my previous post , a positive one, about my experience with Brazilian Hardwood. I have a lengthy post above. The wood was fine, its beautiful,and Dan Cosgrove was great about storing the wood for me, for FREE, for nearly 18 months. The problem came about the stairs treads, which were the wrong size. However, he did send me a check to cover the cost of me buying the correct size, and he did send pre paid labels to return the ones that were too short. So he did follow up on that. I have a beautiful walnut floor, and i have been told by others, that the quality of the wood is excellent. The price on the flooring was better than what was here locally. I would recommend them. I think he became a little disorganized, or something, and was failing to respond to my problem. However, this was unusual , because he had been very responsive --- he would answer emails immediately, and would give detailed information about install. So i don't know what happened, but he took care of it. The mistake was made by the people who manufactured and shipping the too -short stair tread. It was not actually Dan's mistake. But it was his responsibility to cover it, and he did.

So here's my summary

1. you will get high quality , beautiful wood flooring. he does not sell the stuff you would get a lumber liquidators quality

2. you will get a good price

3. he was always courteous to me, in his emails and in speaking with him. he is knowledgeable about the products.

4. if there is a problem, he will resolve it, as he did with me.

If you are serious about a flooring type, order a sample from him. Mine was $100 or $200 , i think, and that amount came off the end price.