Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carie33

Help choosing colour of flooring for family with disabled child

Carie3
10 years ago

Our child with severe autism keeps stamping his foot and going through cypress pine flooring. We can only afford to replace it with plywood substrate and then commercial grade Tarkett optima vinyl. Our child spits out and throws food about 10 x during any one meal and so although we sweep up many times during a meal, his high care 24 hour a day needs mean I only have energy to mop the floor about 1 a week. My husband and I would like a cream or oatmeal or nougat coloured vinyl to match our black and white speckled laminate counter top and our beech coloured laminate cupboards but we think to hide the inevitable dirt and grime build up in the 3/8" weld joints we think we have to go with dark grey or black flooring. The room is small kitchen hall way family area and stairwell and the vinyl ONLY comes in roughly 6' wide rolls so we can't avoid the welds. The welds seem to feel like silicone and are impossible to clean so we thought they might stand out less in a black or dark grey vinyl. The flooring company is waiting for us to decide so we really need some help re the colour choice ASAP. Thanks Carie from Sydney Australia.

Comment (1)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I would get sheet flooring. It sounds like you are looking at a faux tile. Something smoother without the seams/welds would be easier to live with.

Cover the floor under him with a sheet during meal times.

It's better to be able to see the dirt that needs cleaning, imo.

Don't let your salesman pressure you. Shop around.