Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can radiant heat be used with hardwood floors?

Posted by twingle (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 20:04

My husband wants hardwood floors in our kitchen. My house is on a crawl space. I want radiant heat. Can we do a hardwood floor with radiant heat?? I live in the Northeast where it can get pretty cold in the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can radiant heat be used with hardwood floors?

Yes its possable but the heating coils will have to run between the floor joists or if you did a laminate then that would be layed over heating mat. You will want to make shore the hard wood floor you choose is rated for over radiant heat.

o
RE: Can radiant heat be used with hardwood floors?

Yes. You can absolutely do hardwood with radiant. Some systems are more difficult and less efficient than others, but you can definitely make it work. There have been concerns in the past with other systems providing an uneven heating surface which can prematurely warp and age the wood. Instances of this actually happening are extremely rare, but can be an issue if the wood is not treated properly prior to installation. If you plan to only do a kitchen, an electric radiant mat might be the perfect solution. You may just want to double-check electricity rates in your area. Here in California, electric radiant is extremely expensive to operate.

I would recommend you speak to the manufacturer of the hardwood you decide on using and see what they recommend. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here