Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems w/ flooring installation company

Posted by Katryna (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 19:28

Looking for some advice here. In December 2010 a salesman came to my home for flooring options b/c I wanted to replace carpeting in 2 bedrooms. I have 3 dogs and explained to the salesman that I did no want the carpeting b/c of problems w/ dog pee accidents. He recommended laminate flooring. It was installed in the bedrooms; I really liked it, so had the rest of the house done. The total was approx $5600. A few months later, I noticed various areas of the floor that had expansion/warping. I called the flooring company and was told it was because of the dog pee; that they would replace the flooring at cost to me. I said this is not acceptable b/c I specifically told he salesman I wanted to get rid of the carpeting for this same reason. Some Wall postings on their FaceBook page and many phone calls later; I'm being offered vinyl tile being installed at no cost to me. My problem is, the salesman never should have recommended laminate in the first place. I know the vinyl tile is much cheaper, and they're probably making this offer as a compromise, however they are still saying they won't give me a refund b/c they don't feel they are in the wrong or that the salesman did anything wrong by recommending laminate floors. I told the regional manager I would have to think about this offer. I'm very angry about this. When I call back, I'm going to ask him why he is offering vinyl laminate as a resolution -if he responds that this is the best for my situation (the dogs), then why didn't the salesman recommend that in the first place?? I would have saved money and wouldn't be in this situation now. The regional manager keeps telling me they cannot guarantee any flooring 100% against dog pee; of course not, but that's not the point. The laminate was specifically recommended after I explained dog pee damage is why I wanted the carpeting replaced. Any suggestions on what I should do and how I should respond to this offer? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems w/ flooring installation company

I hear ya loud and clear but I believe you are up the creek on this one. 1st off, dog pee will not hurt it, if it is wiped up quickly. Yours is being allowed to lie there while you are away, etc etc for a length of time. That will be considered abuse. We have a similar case right now...that we are working through..urine on the floor for 10 hours at a clip. In your case, it must be fairly extreme to swell the joints and that will be declared abuse to the floor regardless of statements made as details to those statements become he said she said. Take the accommodating offer here and realize that many stores would be running from the situation. I say this from the bottom of my heart. It's just not a perfect world. Good luck.

o
RE: Problems w/ flooring installation company

I would not have recommended any vinyl tile or laminate, nor anything else in your situation, other than vinyl sheet with perfectly welded seams.

Unfortunately, I agree with the previous poster. The salesman oversold the laminate product to you and their offer is in compromise to make things right. I doubt, however, that vinyl tile is the correct product as a replacement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here