Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of hardwood is right for me?

Posted by JadedBaroness (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 19:13

We would like to replace our hardwood floors. They are not in good shape and they are not to our taste. Our preference is a wider board and a darker wood with nice dark grains. It seems all of the floors like this are "handscraped" which would be fine but I question their durability? I think I would prefer wide boards that are not handscraped - do they exist? I haven't seen them in showrooms (I've been shopping local flooring stores).

I have three young children who like to drag chairs, toys, etc everywhere and I do not want to invest in a new floor that is prone to dings, scratches, etc. Our previous home had a builder grade Bruce 2 1/4 inch oak floor with a dark cherry finish. They held up just fine, showing minimal marks/scratches/damage after 7 years but were not my ideal in terms of the overall aesthetic. But that's my only experience.

Knowing that these floors will see heavy traffic and hard use, what type of hardwood floor should I be looking for? Or avoiding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of hardwood is right for me?

If money isnt an issue look into some exotics. Brazilian cherry is nice or you could go Ipé, which is also nice. Both dense, naturally dark woods and can be in larger widths.

Dont know where your at but just guessing that local floor shops that sell everything (carpet, laminate,tile,wood) isnt the place to go.

Find a pro that only does HW and thats been in the biz for awhile. They can find you whatever you want.

o

Thanks :) we are on a budget and have about 950-1000 feet of hardwood to install...plus maybe the stairs. I will look at your suggestions! And will look for someone who just does floors. We've been to a home show recently and know of the local carpet and/or flooring places. We avoid the big box stores. So I'm getting a variety of quotes currently based purely on the aesthetics of what we like on the showrooms but have no idea if the brands or species of wood types are "good" or right for us.

o

You can look at brushed oak, it's gorgeous and durable. We are having it installed in a very dark color and the boards are 7 1/2" wide. We are getting it from a supplier in Canada but you can find a similar product elsewhere.

I will also add that we have had two homes with handscraped maple and they were extremely durable. The best part of handscraped is that the odd scratch or dent looks like it meant to be there and it feels great under bare feet.

o

That's very helpful! Thank you :)

o

have you considered wire-brushed?

http://www.ask.com/explore/what-you-should-know-about-wire-brushed-wood-floors

Here is a link that might be useful: wire brushed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here