Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpenny_gw

american cherry floors - am I crazy?

cottonpenny
12 years ago

Cross-posted in kitchens, since that's what I'm mainly worried about.

I love cherry. Always have, since I picked a natural cherry for my vanity in my parents house in, oh, middle school. My son's nursery is natural cherry from room&board and I truly love love love it.

I have been agonizing over flooring. I want something medium toned, with some color variation from board to board. I don't want a dark red or mahogany tone (like brazilian cherry). I don't want a dark floor that will be hard to keep looking clean. I don't want it as light as natural maple.

I've been looking at oak samples for weeks and I just can't love them. I don't like oak. Never have. DH and I went to the flooring store today and we were both drawn to the natural american cherry sample. We never agree on anything (originally he wanted floor as dark and shiny as possible - only if he's going to sweep them!)

I figured it was way out of budget...but turns out it's only a little out of budget ($500). I know it's soft and I have a young son who will soon turn into a toddler and a rambunctious little boy....but there's always refinishing and replacing boards if we need, right?

Am I nuts for even considering this?

Comments (2)