Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
american cherry floors - am I crazy?

Posted by cottonpenny (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 18:39

Cross-posted in kitchens, since that's what I'm mainly worried about.

I love cherry. Always have, since I picked a natural cherry for my vanity in my parents house in, oh, middle school. My son's nursery is natural cherry from room&board and I truly love love love it.
I have been agonizing over flooring. I want something medium toned, with some color variation from board to board. I don't want a dark red or mahogany tone (like brazilian cherry). I don't want a dark floor that will be hard to keep looking clean. I don't want it as light as natural maple.

I've been looking at oak samples for weeks and I just can't love them. I don't like oak. Never have. DH and I went to the flooring store today and we were both drawn to the natural american cherry sample. We never agree on anything (originally he wanted floor as dark and shiny as possible - only if he's going to sweep them!)

I figured it was way out of budget...but turns out it's only a little out of budget ($500). I know it's soft and I have a young son who will soon turn into a toddler and a rambunctious little boy....but there's always refinishing and replacing boards if we need, right?

Am I nuts for even considering this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: american cherry floors - am I crazy?

No...just so long as you can accept inevitable dents. Anyone considering any wood flooring product needs to understand that denting and degradation of the surface finish will happen.

o
RE: american cherry floors - am I crazy?

Cherry is not very high in hardness, and it will dent over time.

If you can find a figure (AKA 'grain') in a harder wood you can always darken it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here