Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red pine floor getting refinished need some help

Posted by trinity_2010 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 17:49

the floor guy called it red pine, it kinda looks normal pine but its a bit harder and and has very dark reddish veins in it, its from around 1935, what are the the none poly ways to finish it? the floor guy recommends 3 coats oil based with i dont want to use for obvious reasons and dont like the look of the water based...what else can i do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red pine floor getting refinished need some help

You can stain with an oil based stain and then apply a waterborne polyurethane. This will give you the look you're after with much less VOC (volatile organic content) load, although most floor stains have a high VOC content by themselves. I have stained heart pine with Bona DriFast stain and then topcoated with Bona Traffic Satin and have gotten very attractive results.

You can consider the Waterlox system, although if odor is your prime concern, then research thre pros and cons of using that. Hard wax oil, of which I have no experience using, may be another option for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here