Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New sunroom - need flooring advice, please!

Posted by phillycook (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 17:36

We had a "sunroom" constructed so that we can actually use our backyard space in the spring, summer and autumn and parts of the winter. Too many mosquitos, no shade.

Two of the walls are masonry - we're in an end of row house - and the newly constructed walls are glass and aluminum. The roof is insulated and there is a plywood subfloor over tar paper.

We were thinking about cork flooring, but when I went to order it today at our local flooring store, they said that they would sell it to me, but wouldn't recommend installing it in a room that wasn't temperature controlled in someway. We're not springing for underfloor heating.

So the dilemma - we wanted something ecologically friendly, something warm-ish like cork or bamboo and something that would stand up to the rigors of a Philadelphia winter. The guy at the flooring store is telling me tile, but that's going to entail more plywood to keep the tiles from cracking.

And the other issue is that we have a very heavy - takes 3 or 4 guys to move it - table that is going to live in the sunroom. It did live outside.

What sort of floors has anyone here installed in sunrooms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New sunroom - need flooring advice, please!

You're talking an outdoor space here, not an indoor one. Wood would never be on the list unless you did something like tongue and groove ipe decking. The only suitable floors for a non temperature and humidity controlled space would be porcelain tile, indoor-outdoor carpet, concrete, or possibly vinyl, but the vinyl would depend on the amount of UV the space gets. UV will kill vinyl, or any finish meant for interior use.

o
RE: New sunroom - need flooring advice, please!

We did heated tile floors, but you've crossed that one off the list. :-( And quite honestly, I don't know that I'd put radiant heat in an unconditioned space, for fear the thermostat would run and run....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here