Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillycook

New sunroom - need flooring advice, please!

phillycook
12 years ago

We had a "sunroom" constructed so that we can actually use our backyard space in the spring, summer and autumn and parts of the winter. Too many mosquitos, no shade.

Two of the walls are masonry - we're in an end of row house - and the newly constructed walls are glass and aluminum. The roof is insulated and there is a plywood subfloor over tar paper.

We were thinking about cork flooring, but when I went to order it today at our local flooring store, they said that they would sell it to me, but wouldn't recommend installing it in a room that wasn't temperature controlled in someway. We're not springing for underfloor heating.

So the dilemma - we wanted something ecologically friendly, something warm-ish like cork or bamboo and something that would stand up to the rigors of a Philadelphia winter. The guy at the flooring store is telling me tile, but that's going to entail more plywood to keep the tiles from cracking.

And the other issue is that we have a very heavy - takes 3 or 4 guys to move it - table that is going to live in the sunroom. It did live outside.

What sort of floors has anyone here installed in sunrooms?

Comments (2)