Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to put over Ceramic Tile

Posted by mahnrut (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 17:15

We have a currently 3 season porch with ceramic tile floor. That room is over a sealed but not heated garage and the floor gets cold (it was an outside porch with concrete floor which connects to the concrete ceiling of the garage) and there is of course quite a bit of heat loss from the 1985 double glazed windows. To make it more comfortable underfoot we would like to either put hardwood over the tile (with a gap for insulation) or wall to wall carpet. It seems we would have to drill the tiles around the edges to install wall to wall strips and the problem there is that we have low Runtal radiators on 2 walls (see the pics). I am also not sure if there is enough space depth wise for hardwood. Any thoughts much appreciated.

porch 2009

rads 002

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to put over Ceramic Tile

All I would do would be to occasionally replace the area rug. Provided it covers most of the tile and you installed it over a good pad, you get the comfort you want and the added bonus of not wrecking the tile.

o

You have many choices if you go carpet. You can emboss the grout lines and do a double stick rubber cushion with carpet. You also can glue the tack strip and stretch the carpet right over what you have. Or a floating real hardwood would be pretty simple....a good flooring store can look at your situation and give you many options....

o

Thanks for both suggestions. I wondered if we had enough height under the radiators for the hardwood with an insulating gap. I will look for a good flooring store to come and look.

o

We have decided on a Karastan nylon midweight (about 5.50/sq ft was the price in the store). They say that the glue they use for the strips will not pull off once the carpet is stretched onto them (I read this in another posting here). It is an old-time shop that we have used once before with wool Karastan fitted carpet and they have their own workers so I imagine they won't be the cheapest but I don't want any issues with installation. We are just about to get a quote from them for the room which is just under 20' by 10' and the store recommended using a 40 lb synthetic felt. Any ballpark figures would be very helpful. We are in Washington DC which is not low rent. Thanks a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here