Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring for screened porch

Posted by kimberlyrkb (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 17:06

We have an added on porch on our lower level. The space is about 25' x 20', so it's generously sized. It is a slab on the ground; the slab has indoor-outdoor carpet on it. The porch is not a true screened porch, rather it has windows, however, there is no heating/cooling in this space. During the winter, the temps can get to around zero degrees Farenheit, and it's as cold on the porch as it is outside. Our summer temps sometimes reach the 90's and even 100, although that is rare.

We want to replace the carpet, but what is a good option for the wide temperature swings? I am also a bit cost conscious, as we can only use this porch for maybe 4 months of the year - I don't want to sink a ton of money into a room that we cannot use year 'round. And I'd rather not use carpet again if I can avoid it.

Would vinyl plank flooring work? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring for screened porch

Maybe polish the slab and then put down area rugs? When bad weather comes, roll up the rugs for storage.

o

This product looks nice. I know nothing about the quality, but they say you can contact them for samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: KONTIKI

o

Thanks for your replies. I'll check out each idea. I like the look of polished concrete, so that is promising. The deck flooring looks nice but may be more cost prohibitive. Thank you!

o
RE: Flooring for screened porch2

Thanks for your replies. I'll check out each idea. I like the look of polished concrete, so that is promising. The deck flooring looks nice but may be more cost prohibitive. Thank you!

o

Vinyl isn't suited to the large temperature swings. It will expand and contract too much, as well as become pretty brittle at that low temperature. Porcelain tile will be your most durable bet. You can get the ones that look like wood if you want a more "indoor" type look. Polished and stained concrete is a good choice too, but it's one of those "either/or" situations in that if you do the concrete, it's a lot harder to go back and put tile down if you don't like the maintenance of the concrete. And if you do tile, you will find it difficult to remove and smooth the slab out enough for a finished surface later. One or the other. And if you change your mind, you have to rent a concrete grinder to change the surface.

I'd also suggest putting in some underfloor heating cables under the tile to extend the season. It won't make it inhabitable during the coldest months, but it will make your feet warm during the cooler months when you can cuddle with a blanket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here