Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiber vs slab rubber carpet pad over hydronic heating

Posted by Susan001 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 16:59

Have experience with either fiber (5/8 ") or slab rubber foam (125 oz., I believe 7/16") carpet pads installed over Thermal Board or hydronic heating? Wool carpet will be installed above the pad. Have heard preferences for both. Is the slab rubber resilient or more cushiony? Is the fiber more cushiony?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiber vs slab rubber carpet pad over hydronic heating

You may want to consult this table to look at how much insulation your adding that will be blocking your heat.

We installed tile over our radiant heat on the main floor and carpet with pad on the second floor. We have a main floor master so don't really use the second floor. In addition our floor plan is very open so the heat from the main floor rises and I don't think our upper floor system turns on very much.

In terms of the carpet type I know we didn't choose wool but some sort of synthetic berber. We also installed the type of floor padding that the store said was specifically designed to go over radiant heat. Make sure your store knows that you want it to go over radiant heating and they may be able to look at the specs. to see what is recommended.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparative R-Values of Flooring and Subfloors

o

I have radiant heat, the kind with the pex water tubes. In the rooms with marble tiles and in the stamped concrete slab it is great! I love it! over hardwood, it's not so great. I'm pretty sure that under carpeting it would not be very effective at all. I suggest you change you choice of flooring material or forget the radiant heat altogether.

o

To work, radiant heat has to be able to radiate. (Look back to your junior high science classes.) Insulating it from that with pad and carpeting will greatly lessen it's effectiveness. If this is a new build, you could investigate placing it in the lower third of the wall instead, but that is a MUCH more difficult installation technique and is complicated by furniture placement as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here