Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
poor epoxy grout in shower floor

Posted by efs (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 16:28

Hello,

I am attaching pictures of what I see as problems with the grout in our shower floor. The contractor sees no problem with these gaps in grout. I suspect that the dirt will get into these gaps and I will have a very hard time keeping this floor clean, not mentioning that these edges are simply sharp and unpleasant to walk on.

Any professional advise whether I am too picky or this is really not a good job?

thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: poor epoxy grout in shower floor

It could be a number of reasons why but my take would be the grout wasent mixed and or floated correctly. You need certain size space between tiles in order to determain if sanded or unsanded needs to be used. Looks like sanded grout to me.

Get a grout saw and get in there get the remaining out and regrout it and let the grout dry to what ever the back of the grout bag states.

It can not stay like that, water will collect, contractor is wrong. You might want to ask the contractor what was used for a water proof membrane under tile and how the substrate was preformed as 99% of cracked grout is from movment in the floor.

o

It could be a number of reasons why but my take would be the grout wasent mixed and or floated correctly. You need certain size space between tiles in order to determain if sanded or unsanded needs to be used. Looks like sanded grout to me.

Get a grout saw and get in there get the remaining out and regrout it and let the grout dry to what ever the back of the grout bag states.

It can not stay like that, water will collect, contractor is wrong. You might want to ask the contractor what was used for a water proof membrane under tile and how the substrate was preformed as 99% of cracked grout is from movment in the floor.

o

There should be no missing grout, regardless whatever the formulation.

o

I think your question was answered at the JB Forums...

o

It seems like a lot of people dont come back to check there posts oh well

o

• Posted by efs (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 23:01

I do - I posted there too since I wasn't sure which one will get any feedback.

Thank you to all who shared their thoughts and suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here