Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to fix this HW floor without recoat the entire unit/room?

Posted by LSDchic (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 16:18

Is it possible to fix the two lines in the middle room that is more dull than the rest of the floor. (Golden oak stain, semi gloss finish). It's worse in person but this is the best I can do in the camera. In the picture, it doesn't look bad, but the lines are actually long.

The floor guy came to fix the inconsistency. He gently sanded it and put finish on the top. I came back to check after a week or so, it's worse but he said it will be better after I walk on it.

I asked if he can redo just the dining room and he said if I want to redo, it has to be the entire unit but I don't have the luxury to move my furniture in and out into the bedroom anymore. He will charge $400 for 700 sq.ft.

The room is about 12x17 and it's connecting to foyer without door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to fix this HW floor without recoat the entire unit/room?

Get a nice rug.

o

Thanks :). But I want to know how to fix the floor technically like buffing and varnishing technique

o

You can't buff poly. It actually dulls it. If you want it touched up, you will always see a line as the new doesn't melt into the old. You will ALWAYS see a line between the touchup and the rest of the floor. Especially with gloss. That's why you're getting the recommendation to screen and recoat the whole thing. And choose a lower sheen if you want to see less imperfections. Gloss shows EVERYTHING.

Or just get a rug.

o

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it.

o

Once you get all your furniture in, window coverings up and all the rest, the gloss difference in that one area won't be noticed and won't make much of a difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here