Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the best underlayment for vinyl tile

Posted by greybird (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 16:05

I am about to install vinyl tile in my old kitchen. The subfloor is half hardwood tongue-and-groove plank, and the other half really old looking plywood. I think what previous owners did was to take in the porch, thus the different subfloors.
The floor is quite sturdy and pretty much level, maybe a 1/16"-1/8" difference in the two subfloors. I have completely removed the old linoleum.

My question is what underlayment to use? Would 1/4" or 11/32" b-c plywood be adequate, in terms of smoothness and sturdiness? I live in a rural area and not much else to choose from. The guy at Home Depot suggested 1/2" OSB, but I am a little leery of OSB for vinyl tile.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the best underlayment for vinyl tile

No OSB! Home Depot and Lowes ought to have for sale plywood panels manufactured in Brazil or another South American source. However, do NOT use Meranti or Luaun plywood...junk. You want a multiply panel of either arctic birch or a close-grained equivalent from South America.

Unfortunately, domestic plywood panels...even those rated for underlayment use...are not suitable.

o

Thanks for the reply!

I looked on the Home Depot site. They have something called "Araucoply", only available in 3/4" and $40+ a 4'x8' sheet. Looks like my underlayment might be more pricy than the vinyl tile I bought!

Might be more economic in the long run to return the tile and put down ceramic...

o

You can get underlayment panels that are thinner and are priced in the $19 to $25 range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here