Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing directions of hardwood flooring

Posted by pameliacc (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 15:07

We are laying 3/4 Acacia hardwood, and have already completed the kitchen. Now to transition into the dining room we are having a bit of a challenge. We really would like to change the direction of the flooring in the dining room because of the French doors to the right and the sunken family room to the left.
One hand we feel that it's much busier looking making this transition, but, it flows in the dining room better if the flooring runs parallel with the doors. We are concerned with the transition area and how to take the flooring into the dining room. We tried to rip some darker planks and router the grove on one and slip tongue on the other hoping to give the wide plank look in the doorway, but we weren�t very successful. Any ideas? Should the dining room plank come into the doorway or like in the photos links, or should we definitely make continue trying the wide plank idea?
The hardwood is 3 � inch wide, by various lengths.

Oh, and now rush on the replies, we are only going to try to start laying the floor late this afternoon, lol! Nothing like waiting till the last minute.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing directions of hardwood flooring

Sorry no one else got back to you and you probably already have started...but thought I'd just express another opinion. I really wouldn't switch directions. I've had hardwoods running into both a sunken living room and end butting into a french door and it worked/looked great for both. If you had a floor that was more even in color, it might work okay, but yours is so busy even without changing directions....I think even with a transition board it is too busy and jumbled looking. I think you will be happier with the floors flowing all one direction. :-(

o

What did you end up doing? Can you post pics?
Beautiful wood flooring!!!

o

IMHO with wood as strongly patterned as yours, you will be much happier maintaining the same direction through out. If you are worried about a bowling alley look, by all means put a threshold in the doorway to create a break.

Will

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here