Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo - Cali, EcoTimber, Teragren or Other Best Product

Posted by mnwildrose (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 14:50

I love the "green" benefits of bamboo flooring. But am confused by the huge range of comments - positive and negative. I believe in quality and am willing to pay more for a truly good product.

Is there a bamboo flooring that will really stand up to the test of time? One that will look great in a very lived-in home? And also aesthetically beautiful?

Please share your experiences and recommendations related to bamboo flooring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo - Cali, EcoTimber, Teragren or Other Best Product

Hi!

WHAT? No responses?

Which brand did you eventually buy and why?

I ran into a rep when I was at a local flooring store and he was very informative. Turns out that he was a rep for many products but he was touting the Teragren product for several reasons. First of all it is a US owned company, that operates in China. I said it is that way and not the other way around. He felt that the quality control was exceptional. I almost bought their synergy product, because it seemed to be their best, but then the salesman pointed out that the edges are not beveled and so the end result looks like Pergo or something cheap like that.

I thought about using their less expensive locking system. I think it was called portfolio but then I ran into EcoTimber and felt that it was just as good and less expensive. In my particular installation, it was going to be easier to use tongue and groove glued together instead of a locking system (a weird situation in a log home where it has to slide into notches cut into the logs). Otherwise a locking system is normally great!

By the way, I am putting it over a Hydronic radiant heating system, and so it needed to be a floating floor.

I have read that Cali is good but there seemed to be some bad reviews. Some people have raved about Plyboo as well, but I haven't looked at that product.

I wanted a wee bamboo because it is harder. Ditto for a light neutral original color other than carbonized, because that softens the grass.

Just my insight and I am still looking at learning. I did find that Teragren and EcoTimber seemed to be equally hard and almost impossible to scratch, although I have read that dogs could do a number on this wood (grass).

EcoTimber was number one in Consumers Reports, followed closely by Teragren, with almost identical numbers. They don't have the exact same product now, but very close.

If anyone else has any feedback, please reply here, as well as mnwildRose!

Thanks!

Ben

I used Dragon NaturallySpeaking to write this, so there may be some errors...

o
RE: Bamboo - Cali, EcoTimber, Teragren or Other Best Product

I have also been looking at strand bamboo: the EcoTimber and the Teragren. Didn't care for the look or expense of the Teragren and found the EcoTimber dull. I saw a Trillium floor which is a Canadian company that has a different patented protective cover that they claim is better than the standard and has a really nice sheen to it which I like.

Does anyone have experience with Trillium?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here