Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cruzmisl

I knew I shouldn't have but did it anyway-now what??

cruzmisl
11 years ago

Hi All,
After years of living with carpet I finally put in a beautiful 3/4" maple floor. At the same time, I bought a new puppy.

Floor is beautiful but it squeaks in some areas. Squeaks drive me CRAZY (I have a little OCD). To compound the squeaks, my puppy gained 155lbs and she scratches the floor with her claws so the finish is getting beat up.

I feel like a fool but want to pull out the floor (essentially burning $4k) and replace it with a tile. I've been looking at some porcelain tiles that look like wood but I'm curious how others view the faux wood look and how it may or may not affect resale? A good quality porcelain isn't cheap with some pushing $10/sq.ft. I can get a nice granite or marble for that. I'm figuring the tile will address the squeaks and won't be scratched by my dog.

Any thoughts, advice or opinions?

Thanks,
J

Comments (15)

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

Unless you specify a thin grout line, and won't mind the unforgiving nature of tile, then go for it!

• dreambuilder
    11 years ago

There was a recent posting about a porcelain floor chipping and I have asked 2 installers and they say porcelain tile is very difficult to install (it splits when cut)....go ceramic---there are very nice tiles out there that won't break the bank. It seems the "wood look" is the newest thing--I was at the tile store yesterday and they were getting tons of that in..so seems to be a trend starting.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Trim the claws.

• jules8
    11 years ago

I think the porcelain planks look great. see the houzz link for lots of photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: porcelain plank

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I trim her claws regularly but sadly it doesn't help. Now a year later, the damage has been done.

Any difference between full body porcelain and glazed? Is full body worth the added expense in this type of installation?

• niteshadepromises
    11 years ago

The general complaints I've found about tile is it's cold, hard, and a pain to keep the grout clean. However if you go with dark grout lines, for a pet friendly flooring I do think its a good option. Some will argue its hardness can be as hard on your dogs joints as yours. Luxury vinyl plank is another option if you havn't looked at it but from resale perspective I'm not sure which of the two might turn off buyers more. Personally I think both can look great but again faux wood is faux wood in the eyes of homebuyers.

• stacylh
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what the going rate for installing tile is in your area, but in mine, I've found that it runs $5-7/sq ft (not including the tile, grout, thinset, etc.) which can easily run the cost up quit significantly depending on what tile you choose.

The going rate for hardwood floors in my area (the sand and finish kind) is around $8.00/sq ft. Luckily, we are getting ours for around $6.50 sq ft because of a friend (4" red oak).

Therefore, we are opting to replace all flooring that we can (with the exception of the two kids' bathrooms) with hardwood. It's cheaper, warmer, doesn't have grout lines to clean, and can be refinished if needed.

I would seriously consider declawing the "puppy" and refinishing the wood floors. Changing out tile in the future will cost a ton in demo and I think that most buyers are fond of hardwood floors, with many HATING tile.

• niteshadepromises
    11 years ago

Not much a fan of declawing animals myself, like cutting your fingers off at the knuckle...inhumane and illegal in some locals. Spose thats a conversation for a different forum tho but wanted to throw it out there in case it was really being considered :P

This post was edited by niteshadepromises on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 15:09

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

I agree....you don't declaw a dog...you trim the nails regularly.

• Cadyren
    11 years ago

We put in 600 sq. ft. of natural hickory 9 months ago and have 2 -35 lb. springers. Fast forward 8 months and my oldest dog has a brain tumor that makes her unsteady walking. We have surface scratching, especially in the kitchen, but it is not really noticeable, because of the imperfections in the floor. Maple would be the same except if it's clear maple or dark colored. I don't know how many scratches we will have before my dogs pass, but I would never tear up my floor and will have dogs again. Light color with a busier pattern works for dogs.

• azcharmedlife
    11 years ago

We just installed a gorgeous wood look tile though the entire house.
    It is stunning. $5.25 a foot installed including thin set leveling etc.
    It looks amazing! So easy to care for. We have 3 kids and 2 dogs. I would never to any other way.
    Check build.com for great options at low prices. What you would pay $8-$15 for in stores for $2-$3 sqft. I negotiated with a local supplier to match their pricing and they did it. Never be afraid to ask!
    Good luck.

• clg7067
    11 years ago

You don't declaw dogs.

No wood floor is going to stand up to an active dog. You can trim nails, but it's not going to help 100%.

Tile and good laminate flooring are your best options with dogs. Tile is the most expensive. Figure $10 sf just for professional installation, plus the price of the tiles.

• User
    11 years ago

If you have sqeaks with your wood floor, it could indicate movement in your joists which means you would potentially be unable to install tile without extensive stiffening of the floor. Movement + tile = cracked tile.

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

When your dog walks on the floor you should not hear any clicking, if you do that means nails are hitting the floor and the nails are too long. It would be like you walking on fingernails.

I trim, actually have a nail grinder, that I use every week for very short nails as a result I do not have scratches from dog nails. If your dog is slipping, then make sure to trim the fur on the bottom of the feet, between each and every pad.

I have all hardwoods except in the kitchen and bathrooms. When we reno the kitchen, I am planning to get rid of the cold tile and uneven grout lines and replace with hardwood.

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I won't declaw my dog. Even if it was possible, I'm not going to mutilate my dog to satisfy my OCD.

I ended up finding a solution but I'll post it in another thread.

Thanks for all the replies.