Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I pick Carpet by warranty, twist and density, or wear rating?

Posted by daisy_head_maisy (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 14:33

Please help, we have spent hours going all over town and are SO confused! How do we pick the carpet that will last the longest without matting, frizzing, or showing all sorts of spots like our current carpet.

One store told us to pick carpet by twist, face weight and density, that the wear rating is totally subjective and dosen't matter and neither does the warranty. I noticed on the shaw carpets that the ones with the really high wear ratings have low density... that really confused me.

Another store said to look only at the wear rating, the twist and density don't indicate if the carpet will wear well and neither does the warranty because companies don't honor them.

The 3rd store said to only go by the warranty, that wear rating, twist, and density didn't make any difference as long as we select a stainmaster ultra carpet that has a great 15 year warranty and then it would be replaced for free in 15 years if anything goes wrong at all?

SO... we are so confused and can't find anything online that answers our questions either. I called the manufacturers and nobody would or could answer our questions.

So - how do we pick? We were looking at a few frieze styles by shaw, karastan, and gulistan. None of those are very dense at all and I worry about that - the only reason we were looking at friezes was we were told they wear the best?

The Frieze are all made with tactesse and have a face weight of 58.5, twist of 6.6, and a density of 1755, wear rating about 3.8 to 4.5. These all have the great stainmaster ultralife warranty.

We are also looking at a textured carpet by shaw that has a face weight of 63.4, twist of 7.7 and 5.8 (2 different fibers) and a density of 2153. This has the normal shaw warranty and a wear rating of 4.25.

So - any of you who know the truth about picking carpet PLEASE help us out because my head is swimming and we have to make a decision this week!

PS- we are also installing Pergo World traveler KOA flooring... I am hoping this is good because when we ask which one is good everyone just says "all of them are good"

THanks so much in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I pick Carpet by warranty, twist and density, or wear rati

ok I'll give this a try. I was a carpet rep for 20yrs and worked for major mills (Mohawk etc.) First problem is asking about 'wear'. To a mill wear is the abrasive reduction of yarn. To you it when its starts to look matted down etc. When you complain I guarantee you haven't lost any 'face' wt but the carpet looks like hell. To a cpt guy frieze does the job. I wouldn't worry about all about face wt except when comparing two qualities. Since your walking on the sides of the yarn it worn't look bad and if there is a spill or a stain you won't see it as easily as a cut pile. Some mills used to give a 'texture retention warranty'. That does mean something but the wear warranties are pretty useless when comparing. If you find something with a good twist level, and its a texture or a frieze that should give you good 'wear'.

o
RE: Do I pick Carpet by warranty, twist and density, or wear rati

I am a Shaw dealer for over 16 years now, I wouldnt count on warranty in 15 years from now, 1st, most likely you would change the carpet for other reasons, 2nd do you really think you can have a new carpet after 15 years? Even Shaw with their great customer service, would find many good reason in 15 years to not issue a replacement.

"The Frieze are all made with tactless and have a face weight of 58.5, twist of 6.6, and a density of 1755, wear rating about 3.8 to 4.5. These all have the great stain master ultra life warranty." This is a great choice.

If you want to eliminate seeing the spot ( the still be there)and have the carpet look almost as day one even after 7 years or so, try get multi color high and low carpet with face weight of at least 50 or higher

In regard to pergo, mostly are all the same, this specific one look like great product and 8mm thickness

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here