Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strand Bamboo

Posted by 4x400m (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 14:23

Hello,

As a disclaimer... I'm not a flooring installer or contractor by trade, but I have completed many home repairs and improvements over the past 5 years. I've done a lot of reading (on this site and others), but I understand I'm not an expert and may be headed down the wrong path.

We are planning to install strand bamboo flooring in our kitchen. We have decided to go with Cali Bamboo, but we are still trying to decide between a couple of options. This will be installed as a floating (click-lock) floor. The subfloor is 5/8 plywood over 16" on center floor joists.

Here are the two options we are considering.

1) Laying the "Solid Bamboo Click Flooring" (which is 9/16 x 5 1/8 x 72 7/8) directly over the existing subfloor. Total thickness: 2.5mm underlayment + 9/16" flooring = 0.66"

2) Putting down layer of 3/8" plywood on top of the existing subfloor, and then laying the "Economy Solid Click Lock Bamboo Flooring" (which is 3/8 x 3 3/16 x 36) over the 3/8" plywood. Total thickness: 3/8" plywood + 2.5mm underlayment + 3/8" flooring = 0.85"

In either case, we will be using the recommended underlayment / moisture barrier and the flooring will run perpendicular to / across the floor joists.

Option 1 would result in the kitchen floor being closer to the same height as the other floors in the house, but I feel like beefing up the subfloor (option 2) would make for a more solid floor in the end.

Would we be asking for trouble if we don't add to the subfloor?

Thanks,

-Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: Cali Bamboo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strand Bamboo

5/8" subfloor sounds a bit thin but my preference would be to have the thicker floor material. All click-lock floors will have a little give so between the give in the floor underlayment and the give in the subfloor you might have some noticeable movement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here