Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4x400m

Strand Bamboo

4x400m
11 years ago

Hello,

As a disclaimer... I'm not a flooring installer or contractor by trade, but I have completed many home repairs and improvements over the past 5 years. I've done a lot of reading (on this site and others), but I understand I'm not an expert and may be headed down the wrong path.

We are planning to install strand bamboo flooring in our kitchen. We have decided to go with Cali Bamboo, but we are still trying to decide between a couple of options. This will be installed as a floating (click-lock) floor. The subfloor is 5/8 plywood over 16" on center floor joists.

Here are the two options we are considering.

1) Laying the "Solid Bamboo Click Flooring" (which is 9/16 x 5 1/8 x 72 7/8) directly over the existing subfloor. Total thickness: 2.5mm underlayment + 9/16" flooring = 0.66"

2) Putting down layer of 3/8" plywood on top of the existing subfloor, and then laying the "Economy Solid Click Lock Bamboo Flooring" (which is 3/8 x 3 3/16 x 36) over the 3/8" plywood. Total thickness: 3/8" plywood + 2.5mm underlayment + 3/8" flooring = 0.85"

In either case, we will be using the recommended underlayment / moisture barrier and the flooring will run perpendicular to / across the floor joists.

Option 1 would result in the kitchen floor being closer to the same height as the other floors in the house, but I feel like beefing up the subfloor (option 2) would make for a more solid floor in the end.

Would we be asking for trouble if we don't add to the subfloor?

Thanks,

-Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: Cali Bamboo

Comment (1)