Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reduce Hollow Sound From Laminate Flooring

Posted by utdel (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 08 at 14:07

Hi Folks,

We have installed laminate in one room and are ready to do another in our house. We have concrete floors. The first room we did got done without any problems. However we are confused about the Underlayment that we used. We used the "Dream Home Quiet Walk Underlayment" from Lumber Liquidators. We were told that this would reduce the sound when walking on the floor. However now we have hollow sound when we walk on it (the floor is flat with no humps or dips). I thought using the premiumn underlayment would take care of this.

My question is what would cause the hollow sound and what underlayment should we use? We would like the sound to be minimal. Also our house is a 1 story house. Any help or suggestions would be apprecated.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reduce Hollow Sound From Laminate Flooring

It is the nature of the beast. Those upsell underlayments, really do nothing to reduce noise resonance. Maybe in the rooms below the installation but do little for the in room clockity-clock.

If you want some relief, use an attached cushion laminate, and nothing from Lumber Liquidators. That stuff from LL, is know for pinholes in the surface that catch dirt, and start looking like gray spots.

o

The attached cushion laminate is better and a thicker laminate will help. Also, there are some quality underlayments that do make a difference. Not from LL's though. Try something that maybe Armstrong recommends.

o

As I put in other post and others mentioned, nature of the beast. Furnishings, drapes, pictures, rugs and such will help fill space and rug will help a lot. But he beast is still there. Like I have said before, I don't even think about it anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here